• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP655 dieing syntoms?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I've had the same MCP655 since a64 first came out...been running pretty much 24/7 since then, mathematically MTBF is 50,000 hours or 5 years, it's been 6 going on 7 years lol. I've noticed in the past 6 months the pump has been getting louder, it hums now, turns off and on reliably though. Has a high pitch whine to it now, kinda like an old TV - most people can't hear the tone but me and my wife can and it's irritating, causing headaches. I can turn it down to the number 2 setting and the whine goes away as well as the vibration. You guys think it's time to get a new pump? I haven't maintained the loop in 2 years or so...coolant looks fine, blocks/rads were cleaned well before install.

wear and tear, gunk build up, could be any factor really.. but 7 years, nice... they make those things to really last :)

Have you notices the flow decreasing? or You can try decoupling it and see if that helps.. I think just getting a new one would be less time consuming then trying to figure or fix it if it is really breaking down..

What kind of coolant are you using? I would definitely suggest cleaning the system. I didn't clean my server system for about a year because the water looked fine but when I opened my MCP655 it had a dark film on the motor. I'm not sure where it came from, but the blocks had a lot of black build up in the grooves as well. Any kind of film build up on your motor can cause it to whine and get louder.

Yea it's been a while. Nothing has been wrong, temps have been no different so I see no reason to break what's not broke. I just ordered a new res and some tubing, cloudy tubes and a crappy res have to go. Before anyone says it I know it's good to maintain the loop once a year or so, just been lazy lol.

Back