• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCleaner messing with me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i used CCleaner's driver wiper, free space only, simple overwrite (1 pass).. My HDD has 354gb free space before i used it after its done, i only now have 304GB of free space(WTF?).. where the hell did that 50gb go?

Running chkdsk /F from a dos box and then rebooting often finds a lot of incorrectly mapped space. If that doesn't work, use TreeSize to map out your foldrs and see where large space use is taking place.

Running chkdsk /F from a dos box and then rebooting often finds a lot of incorrectly mapped space. If that doesn't work, use TreeSize to map out your foldrs and see where large space use is taking place.

sir, this is amazing, TreeSize worked and i found and deleted the 50gb lost, it was an anti virus log file.. too big eh?
whats a pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys? do i need to delete them? they both eat up 4gb each..

how about the system volume information? its eating up 8gb

pagefile.sys is thw windows page-file i.e. virtual memory. It will be recreated if you delete it. Likewise with hiberfyle.sys (hibernation).

thanks for the info! how about the system volume information?

don't touch that one. you do want a functioning windows install, right? ;)

As for the hibernation file, if you never put your computer to sleep/hibernation (like myself, it's on when i'm at it, off when i'm not), then you can safely turn off hibernation in power configuration and it won't create a hibernation file.

Not true. In XP all that "System Volume Information" contains are restore points. You can shrink its size by purging your restore files.

*EDIT: What antivirus are you using that kept a 50GB log file? (Don't delete the "System Volume Information" folder, but I've deleted its contents many times with no ill effects.....system restore was off when I did though.)

Not true. In XP all that "System Volume Information" contains are restore points. You can shrink its size by purging your restore files.

*EDIT: What antivirus are you using that kept a 50GB log file? (Don't delete the "System Volume Information" folder, but I've deleted its contents many times with no ill effects.....system restore was off when I did though.)

i use an avira free antivirus

sir, this is amazing, TreeSize worked and i found and deleted the 50gb lost, it was an anti virus log file.. too big eh?
whats a pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys? do i need to delete them? they both eat up 4gb each..

how about the system volume information? its eating up 8gb

Do not mess with system volume information directly.
You can disable Windows Restore. You can disable Windows hybernation. Post if you don't know how.

After disabling hybernation, I think I still had to do this under Windows 7 DOS prompt:
powercfg -h off
to get rid of hiberfil.sys

I did not have to do that from Windows XP DOS.

Depending on operating system, Avira log files can be deleted from
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

I've experimented with messing with several years ago but concluded that it's best left alone as it is.

If you didn't change it, I would not mess with it.

If your goal is to save space then I would disable restore, get rid of restore points and maybe disable hybernation but I would not mess with pagefile settings.

If you didn't change it, I would not mess with it.

If your goal is to save space then I would disable restore, get rid of restore points and maybe disable hybernation but I would not mess with pagefile settings.

do the computer delete old restore points or do i manually delete them?

To delete all restore points

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click System protection. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Protection Settings, click Configure.

Under Disk Space Usage, click Delete.

Click Continue, and then click OK.

Attachments

• DisableSystemRestore.png
    DisableSystemRestore.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 54
Back