• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got BSOD while windows was configuring updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I just encountered a problem when I shut down my computer. It started installing updates and when I turned the computer back on, it randomly shut down during the configuration process and I got the option to choose start in safe mode etc. I started normally for lack of not knowing what to do and it went back to the configuring screen, sat at "don't shut your computer off during this process" for like 5 minutes then the 32% came up and windows shutdown normally it looked like. Then it came back on and after "don't shut your computer off..." it was at 100% and I got a message on my desktop saying "windows has just recovered from an unexpected shutdown, click here to find solution". I clicked the solution button but nothing happened.

I'm guessing the updates didn't configure right. What should I do about this?

BTW my BSOD just basically said "windows is taking measures to make sure your computer isn't harmed by this unexpected shut down".

edit: using Win 7 64bit btw

2nd edit: When I tried to start my postgreSQL database (version 8.3) after this all happened. I got a message telling me it can't start because reason "fatal:something". It asked me to configure the database and I did. Maybe there was a conflict with this PostgreSQL database software and the new updates?

it is possible. I've had issues sometimes with updates, but it took 3 reboots like yours. Also Win7 64bit. My best guess is if the updates that install first then require a reboot encounter a problem, it tries again on next reboot, gets to the percent done it was supposed to have done before a normal reboot, then reboots again.

Back