• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question OEM Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I had always been using factory build computer. Currently I am using old i7 920. I am going to build my first PC and have planned to OC it 4.5-5.0 (IB in the Spring 2012)
My question is Windows 7 OEM Builder pack $139. Is that mean I can install it on any newly build computer OR just limited to 1 computer. If it limited to 1 computer. What if I replaced the MOBO than what happen as how to deal with reinstall windows.

It's 1 computer, if you change the motherboard you have to call India and explain a plausible reason why you had to change the motherboard, and they'll give you a new CD key to use on the new one.

I had always been using factory build computer. Currently I am using old i7 920. I am going to build my first PC and have planned to OC it 4.5-5.0 (IB in the Spring 2012)
My question is Windows 7 OEM Builder pack $139. Is that mean I can install it on any newly build computer OR just limited to 1 computer. If it limited to 1 computer. What if I replaced the MOBO than what happen as how to deal with reinstall windows.

By the rules, a Windows OEM issue, can only be used on one computer and a new motherboard after the fact, should trigger the need for a call to MS. In my experience, I have used the same OEM software on multiple computers and done the NET validation with no problem, FWIW.

In my experience, for oem vista and oem 7, no matter how many hardware changes i make, including several motherboards, i have never had to talk to an actual person, or get a new key from someone in india. All i have to do is call an automated number, tell the thing im only using it on one machine, and it sets me back up with the new hardware as the default for my cd key.

Ive called this number dozens of times, for myself and for various family members and neighbors. Its as close to hassle free as you can get, no talking to anyone, takes 5 minutes or less, and is good until you do another major overhaul to your computer.

My oem copy of vista went through i think 6 different computers, plus various hardware upgrades for each. It still works, ive never had to talk to an actual person, just the automated line, and not even always that.

For $139 bucks i think unlimited installs on one machine at a time regardless of the hardware the passes through the case is satisfactory :beer:

Back