• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock confirmation -- does this sound right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenRetriever

I have a Phenom II x4 965 BE which as you guys know is stock 3.4Ghz. In the past I tried overclocking it but decided to go back to stock values as I really had no use to do it. Recently I was asked by a fellow gamer if I had OCd, and said no. He was running the same chip as me and gave me his info as far as voltages and how to get a stable overclock. I didn't do anything with it at the time, but this past week I reinstalled my OS and figured I'd give it a go. Honestly, I don't remember what speeds he was getting or what his voltages were, but reading Dolk's guide, mine seem a bit high.

I did the AUto OC feature that came with my ASUS MB in BIOS and when it booted, I had 3.68GHz @ 1.452 volts. Am I wrong in thinking it's drawing a bit too much juice for such a small increase? Secondly, is it safe for the voltage to be that high, and if part one gets a no answer and part two gets a yes, then should I drop the voltage down to match the clock speed or would I be best to try to get more speed using the 1.45V? I'm using the stock cooler.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area and if anything is unclear, kindly ask me to clarify and I will.

Also, core temps are at 55c.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

:welcome:

For those chips under 1.5 volts should be safe for 24/7 overclock. Every setup is different and every chip is slightly different in what overclocks you can achieve with it. Your motherboard and ram play a huge factor in how high you can overclock the chip. Remember to use other peoples overclock numbers as guidelines only.

Your overclock for that chip sounds about right at that wattage. Just remember to run stress tests like Prime95 to test the stability of the overclock.

Also, core temps are at 55c.<< with that as your statement about "core" temps but nothing about what is cooling the cpu...you need to know that 55C is considered by many of us in the forum as the limit of temps for AMD cores before instability can begin to set in. 1.452 Vcore for only a few hundred mhz overclock seems a little high. 55C is reaching a temperature limit of that am pretty sure, so you need to lessen voltage or get a decent cpu cooler if you are not just satisfied with the level of overclock you have reached. AUTO overclocking is usually accompanied by two much vCore or more than is required since that AUTO overclock tries to be "good" for too too many varying processors.

If you want to overclock your chip; I suggest you go ahead and take a read on this thread; there is a ton of information there that will guide you in getting the most out of that chip.

And to answer your question... Yes; 1.452 VCore is a bit high for a 3.68GHz overclock. I suggest you stay away from the AUTO OC settings in your motherboard, read the thread I linked and learn what each of the settings do. This way you will have much more control over your voltages and temperatures.

And one last thing... Please go to your User CP page and edit your signature with the HW you're running; that way when people see your thread they can see what cpu, motherboard, ram, GPU, PSU, cooling etc you have and they can use that information to guide you in the right way.

Oh... And :welcome:

If you want to overclock your chip; I suggest you go ahead and take a read on this thread; there is a ton of information there that will guide you in getting the most out of that chip.

I believe he did actually ;)

I didn't do anything with it at the time, but this past week I reinstalled my OS and figured I'd give it a go. Honestly, I don't remember what speeds he was getting or what his voltages were, but reading Dolk's guide, mine seem a bit high.

Matt

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. Also, forgive me for being dumb but I can't seem to find where to edit my signature.

I have read in the past the doing an auto OC isn't always a good idea but I wanted to try it for a base, to see where I could expect to be in terms of OCing. Since I see that I can theoretically get to 3.68GHz, that will be where I try to maintain, at least initially. After confirming a stable OC at that point, I'll determine if I can get a bit higher. I thought the voltage might be a tad high so that's why I wanted to confirm, otherwise I might have just left things as they are now. I don't know what I should expect for a "typical" voltage at 3.68, but I guess the only way to know is by doing it.

Honestly, I don't expect much from OCing and I've probably reached or at least come close to the level I feel comfortable going to with my stock cooler. A nicer, more powerful cooler has been on my wishlist for some time, but more important things have come up that required more of my attention.

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. Also, forgive me for being dumb but I can't seem to find where to edit my signature.

I have read in the past the doing an auto OC isn't always a good idea but I wanted to try it for a base, to see where I could expect to be in terms of OCing. Since I see that I can theoretically get to 3.68GHz, that will be where I try to maintain, at least initially. After confirming a stable OC at that point, I'll determine if I can get a bit higher. I thought the voltage might be a tad high so that's why I wanted to confirm, otherwise I might have just left things as they are now. I don't know what I should expect for a "typical" voltage at 3.68, but I guess the only way to know is by doing it.

Honestly, I don't expect much from OCing and I've probably reached or at least come close to the level I feel comfortable going to with my stock cooler. A nicer, more powerful cooler has been on my wishlist for some time, but more important things have come up that required more of my attention.

Let me put it this way, that chip can most likely hit 3.6 on stock 1.35v, 1.45 is enough for you to hit 4ghz if you chip is capable of that, hell a lot of people on here hit 4ghz with less voltage than that. I can get 3.8 on 1.43 on a C2 chip which is hard to overclock past that.

Read Dolks guide again, and set your bios manually, it just take a little bit of work. So you read Dolk's guild and then you auto oc'd it anyway?

Let me put it this way, that chip can most likely hit 3.6 on stock 1.35v, 1.45 is enough for you to hit 4ghz if you chip is capable of that, hell a lot of people on here hit 4ghz with less voltage than that. I can get 3.8 on 1.43 on a C2 chip which is hard to overclock past that.

Read Dolks guide again, and set your bios manually, it just take a little bit of work. So you read Dolk's guild and then you auto oc'd it anyway?

Yep, but I need 1.49v for 4GHz (max temp 45°C...) on a C3

1.45 seems abit high ust going to 3.7ghz, stop ***** footing around with the Auto OC feature :p Read some guides and do it the good ol fashion way!

Back