• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot, changing master boot record, etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluesmap

Registered
i have one drive split into three partitions, driver letters c, d, e.....this was done a year ago.
c: installed windows xp first.
d: installed windows 7 (32 bit) second.
e: storage partition.

i am assuming partition c holds the boot info.
i no longer use windows xp, therefore i want to install windows 7 64 bit and get rid of xp.
can i do a fresh install on drive c, then fix the boot record later to show c and d? or will my fresh install of c also wipeout the d and e partitions?

**note** (i do realize that by installing windows 7 on partition c, i will essentially have two versions of windows 7 as dual boot, which is fine, eventually i will get a new drive and do a fresh install, i just need a temporary solution to install windows 7 64 bit

I use http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ EasyBCD Free Version to control all that.

You shouldn't lose D and E unless you format them. I hope you can correctly set up all multi-boots after you format C and install new Windows 7 on it. You cannot start 64-bit setup from 32-Bit so you would have to start from DVD.

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 24
at this point i reallly just want the 64bit os, i dont care how i install it.

just to clarify, are you saying even if i mount a virtual drive and try to install win7 64 bit i still wouldnt be able to? i didnt want to burn a dvd, finding a blank dvd is another issue LOL

but ill start looking for one if your statement is including virtual drives

Connect your USB Flash drive then type this in Windows 7/Vista DOS [Windows XP DOS cannot be used for this]:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
(of USB Flash drive)
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=ntfs quick
• assign
• exit
• exit

Now copy all contents of Windows 7 ISO to the USB Flash drive, then reboot and hold F8 (on most systems) to get a boot selection menu from which you can choose to boot from the newly created USB Flash Drive.

Optionally, delete autorun.inf (because autorun.inf files are now routinely intercepted by antivirus software.)

Back