• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Thermal Compound sufficient?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zackj3

Registered
I don't know much about thermal compound, but was curious if the included thermal compound is adequate for my i5-2500k build. If not, what do you recommend?

Yes the included thermal compound is adequate.
I believe it is a silicon based compound.

If you want another one you can get Masscool Shin Etsu or AC MX-4 from newegg those are both good. Shin etsu is supposed to be better I've never used it.
What they include AFAIK is = Arctic Silver 5 so don't bother with that plus I don't like that it's a bit of a conductor. And Shin Etsu out performs it for less money too.

^
Useful to watch. Helped me understand how it spreads better that's for sure. Different kinds too.

Once you have your 212 if you like you can check out the 4.5Ghz guide I have in my signature. The 212 is ideal to run on the 2500K.

Have a good night.

You could get a tube of better stuff, but the difference is like 1-3C at most. Within the error of margin of mounting either way.

What about Arctic silver 5? Newegg running a deal right now for $3.

^ At that price I would definitely suggest grabbing some! But as others said it will make a 1-3'c difference at most.

What about Arctic silver 5? Newegg running a deal right now for $3.

Based on Skineelabs test no its not really any better than the stuff that comes with the HSF plus its conductive and CM gives you a silicone compound. AS5 is a dinosaur and inefficient and hard to clean. Shin Etsu is $1 more and 4 degrees lower in many apps. That's not insignificant. Tiny tube but you have 1 HSF to do.

I had an issue with that stuff drying out. but I was folding at 4.6ghz for 3 months though. I would recommend you to get something better

Shin Etsu is super cheap at Newegg (4 or 5 bucks) and you can see it is in the upper part of the list. MX4 is also nice to work with but Shin Etsu edges it out in heat dissipation. Some of these are = in price or cheaper than AS5 and work a bit better so why not? You know?

AS5 is a very old formula and since then improvements have been made so don't get AS5.

Sigh, I bought the AS5 after looking at benchmarkreviews.com, and they had it rated as one of the top ones.

You guys seem to know best though, so I'll go ahead and grab the shin etsu I suppose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080&Tpk=shin etsu

This is what you're talking about?

Imo you will not see a noticeable difference, just stick with the AS5 its still a great paste. The only real downside it that it requires time to cure. Also the one you linked seems to perform worse :-/

TIMBestTemp5.png

Thermal Compound roundup 2011

I dunno if the deal is still going on, but mwave had MX-2 (rated highly on that list) for $2.99/4g tube shipped the other day. I picked up 2 tubes for $6. Not too bad, it's already arrived.

Well, I've got three different tubes now, haha, and still not sure which to use. The stock that came with the 212, AS5, or the Shin Etsu. :/

If you are a user and not a big overclocker, it's more important you put the paste on right.

Forget the use this or die paste freakouts. Use the stuff that came with the cooler, your fine.

.0005C diff, does it matter?

I been using MX2 for a few years. It's okay. It is fine, your choice is fine. Don't use 600 weight motor oil, k?

It isn't .0005c. Just sayin. Certain mounts and compounds are so bad that it is dramatic. From stock sloppy garbage compound over applied to MX4 and tinted pipes on my GPU I went down like 8 degrees. I suggest MX2/4 and Shin Etsu. If you have shin etsu, I'd just apply it as per the instructions given by that video and the usual advice and go for it.

You may wish to 'tint' the heatpipes (I would) by putting shin etsu on a coffee filter, rubbing the base of the 212 till it is covered, then taking a dry coffee filter, and wiping the base until the only compound is in the cracks in the heatpipes 'grains'

Last edited:
Back