• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best PPD/$$$ ratio card right now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

So, I'll tell a long story short.

An office computer I use as a typewriter's graphics card has decided to die. I'll have to buy a graphics card anyway, so, I thought of using this as an excuse to buy a folding-only card.

What card do you guys recommend me? PCIe, of course.

PS: Not interested in any kind of special offers from Classifieds or US stores, since I live in Spain.

PS2: Is there any noticeable PPD difference between using a x16 or a x8?

No difference in 8x and 16x. The GTX 560 Ti is one of the better bang for the buck cards, producing around 15,000 ppd. nVidia has a distinct advantage over ATI.

Thanks for the 560Ti tip, but I'm aiming at something more like 130 EUR, and 560Tis retail at about 200 EUR.

How would a 550Ti or 450 perform? These retail for about 100 EUR.

PS:

Which of these cards would be better?

USED ----
8800GS - 45 EUR
GTS250 - 65 EUR

NEW ----
GTS450 - 100 EUR
GTS550 Ti - 105 EUR

Last edited:
GTX 560 NOT 560ti will produce 12000 PPD at typical stock clocks. A GTX 560 is a ti with only 7 out of 8 SM's functional. Price is very good here in the states at about what a 460 went for. My own 560 is at 12500 PPD and I have just started to explore its full OC potential.

Thanks for the 560Ti tip, but I'm aiming at something more like 130 EUR, and 560Tis retail at about 200 EUR.

How would a 550Ti or 450 perform? These retail for about 100 EUR.

PS:

Which of these cards would be better?

USED ----
8800GS - 45 EUR
GTS250 - 65 EUR

NEW ----
GTS450 - 100 EUR
GTS550 Ti - 105 EUR

if you cant get the 560/ti then go for the 460 gtx, with new the core it's cool and good OC. Would yield round 11-13K PPD.
make sure your PSU can handle new card.

I found the Athlon II's new best friend, a GTX460 for about 100 EUR at a Spain computer-aimed classifieds forum.

Time to get this Fermi folding then.

Don't thank me for this. I think it's everyone who has a "demipowerful" computer duty to fold for the cure. Man, it's for ourselves. We're folding for our own race.

Not to mention that I had friends that passed away because of cancer.

Off-topic: How do I get a F@H badge like yours?

Don't thank me for this. I think it's everyone who has a "demipowerful" computer duty to fold for the cure. Man, it's for ourselves. We're folding for our own race.

Just join the fah group in the usercp.

:clap:
Welcome to T32

Back