• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help ASAP connecting front case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zackj3

Registered
I have an Asus Z68-V/GEN3 board and a Corsair 500R case. I have no idea how / where the front fans should connect.

vk9bB.jpg
rI8fO.jpg
Vw9RI

I'm assuming these are the connectors that control my front case fans. As you can see, one of the wires has been pulled out which I noticed when putting my computer together. Can that be fixed on my own? Looks like it will go back in.

Where do these connect / what are they for? I don't see anywhere on my motherboard. Sorry for being a noob :(

My front USB ports on case do not work either. Would one of these connectors be for it? They are USB 3.0. The rear USB 3.0 do not work either.

Last edited:
The molex connects to your psu (powers the led's and 3 fans). The other connects to the 200mm fan. Did you install the USB 3.0 drivers? Won't work without them.

The molex connects to your psu (powers the led's and 3 fans). The other connects to the 200mm fan. Did you install the USB 3.0 drivers? Won't work without them.

Is the molex to power the fans? I connect the one end to the 200mm side fan and nothing powers. :confused:

Yeah, it was like that when I got it. I can re crimp the wires in there and should be good to go?

The molex connector powers the fan controller that is built in, you have to connect it to your power supply. I believe you can connect up to 3 fans to it, however they all have to have 3 pin connectors not molex.

A 3pin connector looks like this:

3pinfansensor.jpg

The molex in my picture is powering my two front case fans, and my side 200mm fan. It still works (and the LEDs too) even with the one wire being ripped out. Is there any danger in just letting it go for now, or does it need to be repaired? I don't understand how the LED and fans work with one of the wires ripped out.

Yeah, all three fans that run off that connector work when I plug it into the PSU, even though one of the wires is ripped out. :/

So, can these wires be reconnected to this molex connector so I can power my fans?

Yeah, strip the wire back a little, pull the pin out of the molex connector (there's a tab inside to release it), solder it back on, put the pin back in the connector, and you're ready to rock. Make sure reattach to the right pin!

To make it even easier, on second glance, that may be a molex plug with the little door that opens where the fan wires enter. Pull the door open and those two pins should slide right out.

I just checked my 500r and the molex should have both wires attached. I am not to sure how it is working without it, are the LEDs working?

So I fixed the connector, re crimped the wire, plugged it all back in and ... STILL SMOKING!

I think I found the problem, check out these pictures.

Look at the wire furthest on the left. It is exposed. This is the same wire that is melted.
KZikI.jpg

This shows part of the wire casing melted. There are other parts of the wire (not pictured) where the casing was completely melted away and the wire is exposed.
GInEg.jpg

This is surely a manufacturer defect, right? I'm going to need the whole front circuit board replaced (the one that controls power, reset, USB, audio, fan control, etc). Hopefully Corsair is quick and easy about this. :(

This is surely a manufacturer defect, right? I'm going to need the whole front circuit board replaced (the one that controls power, reset, USB, audio, fan control, etc). Hopefully Corsair is quick and easy about this. :(

Yikes I sure hope so, Corsair has a pretty good CS line so hopefully they can sort it out.

Where did you purchase the case from?

Yikes I sure hope so, Corsair has a pretty good CS line so hopefully they can sort it out.

Where did you purchase the case from?

Newegg. I called Corsair, and they told me to fill out a tech support form online. They didn't even have a place on the form to upload pictures. :-/

I bought the case less than a month ago. If I can get away with just getting replacement part from Corsair, I'd be happy. Getting a new case from newegg would be such a pain.

Back