• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power do I need for this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeyw

Hi

Have an old PC with some power issues. 30% of the time it powers on fine, everything works nicely. 100% of the time it powers on fine if you reconnect the power cord beforehand.

A "good" boot is about a 4 second high-speed CPU fan spinning (stock), then it slows down and posts fine. Goes to windows and everything is fine.

A "bad" boot, the CPU fan stays on high speed indefinitely. No screen, no posting at all. This is then fixed by powering off, unplugging power cord, plugging it back in then powering it on.

specs:

Core 2 Duo Extreme QX6850 (factory OC to 3.3)
ASUS P5N-D motherboard
GeForce 8800GT
4x1GB DDR2
OCZ 1010W PSU

I think it's the power due to the dependency of the solution on the power cord. CPU temps are about 40. The motherboard has been recently replaced and the problems existed before that.

I have no space power supplies, do you think it's a simple case of buying a new one? I presume I shouldn't need anywhere near 1010 Watts.

Thanks
Mike

OCZ 1kW PSU for a system that draws 250W...?

FOr that system I would say COrsair 400CX. If you want some headroom grab CX600. :)

Antec Neo Eco 520W
Corsair CX V2 500W.

Around the same price on newegg within 10 dollars of each other I believe. Both of these should be fine for any future system too. eg. a Sandy Bridge CPU with a GTX 560 ti would run perfectly fine on both of these PSU's. A GTX 570 would probably work fine too to be honest.

Back