• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$900 budget gamer system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rathefeare

Registered
I am looking to upgrade/rebuild my by now ancient 7 year old water cooled system. I have a budget of $900 dollars. I am hoping to order this on the 25th or 26th to hopefully take advantage of some sales.

The bad news is that the budget needs to include a decent monitor as I am running a crt now and will probably need to include a version of Windows 7 as I only own Vista and XP pro.

The good news is that I own a Cooler Master Stacker Case that should work well and a 550w Cooler master power supply that might be appropriate for a new build. Also owned is a 1 year old WD caviar black 500G sata 2 hard drive and a much older 200G IDE hard drive. My thoughts is that paired with a new SSD for the OS I will have a storage solution at least till mechanical HDs come back down. Also owned is a Cooler Master Aerogate 2 and a Musketeer, so I have tons of options for a fan controller. Lastly I own Cooler Master cross flow fan that was made for that case and is whisper quiet.

I am coming from a very quiet water cooled AMD system that was a mild overclock. My new system will have to start life air cooled as the cost of replacing 2 water blocks would probably hurt the budget too much. I am concerned about noise though and realizing this system is likely to be louder I would still appreciate if some thought were given to noise. I am not afraid to overclock but stability and noise come first.

I use my computer for light gaming of mainly strategy games such as the Europa Universalis/ Hearts of Iron series and the Civilization series and I am still a fan of Diablo 2. I would envision this new system as being capable of playing Diablo 3 and a hypothetical Civ 6.

In summary 900 dollars to include OS, Monitor, MB, CPU, Video Card, Memory, SSD HD, and probably an aftermarket cooling solution to keep noise down. I prefer to use Newegg, but all vendors are welcome. I thank you in advance for your advice and patience. I welcome any advice and can provide more info if needed.

I am looking to upgrade/rebuild my by now ancient 7 year old water cooled system. I have a budget of $900 dollars. I am hoping to order this on the 25th or 26th to hopefully take advantage of some sales.

The bad news is that the budget needs to include a decent monitor as I am running a crt now and will probably need to include a version of Windows 7 as I only own Vista and XP pro.

The good news is that I own a Cooler Master Stacker Case that should work well and a 550w Cooler master power supply that might be appropriate for a new build. Also owned is a 1 year old WD caviar black 500G sata 2 hard drive and a much older 200G IDE hard drive. My thoughts is that paired with a new SSD for the OS I will have a storage solution at least till mechanical HDs come back down. Also owned is a Cooler Master Aerogate 2 and a Musketeer, so I have tons of options for a fan controller. Lastly I own Cooler Master cross flow fan that was made for that case and is whisper quiet.

I am coming from a very quiet water cooled AMD system that was a mild overclock. My new system will have to start life air cooled as the cost of replacing 2 water blocks would probably hurt the budget too much. I am concerned about noise though and realizing this system is likely to be louder I would still appreciate if some thought were given to noise. I am not afraid to overclock but stability and noise come first.

I use my computer for light gaming of mainly strategy games such as the Europa Universalis/ Hearts of Iron series and the Civilization series and I am still a fan of Diablo 2. I would envision this new system as being capable of playing Diablo 3 and a hypothetical Civ 6.

In summary 900 dollars to include OS, Monitor, MB, CPU, Video Card, Memory, SSD HD, and probably an aftermarket cooling solution to keep noise down. I prefer to use Newegg, but all vendors are welcome. I thank you in advance for your advice and patience. I welcome any advice and can provide more info if needed.

I suggest you use the WD Black HDD as your OS HDD to begin with, as that will allow more cash to be spent on parts. An SSD is the last thing you think about if you have a tight budget. You have 900$ to spend on a decent gaming system, minus atleast 200$ for the Monitor. so $700 for the system.

I'd say a 2500k with a mid range motherboard (Gen 3) 8gb of ram and a HD 6950.

How big of a monitor are you thinking and what resolution would you want to game at?

Well I guess that is going to be part of the trade off on how my money is best spent. I bought the girlfriend an Asus 24 inch monitor a few months back that we are both very happy with so lets go with 23.6 or 24 as a starting point. It seems like 1920x1080 is standard on that monitor and most at that price range, but again I am open to other ideas here.

That CPU is pointless! For an additional 40ish dollars you could get a much better 965BE/955BE/960T which will give much better performance and overclockabillity.

That CPU is pointless! For an additional 40ish dollars you could get a much better 965BE/955BE/960T which will give much better performance and overclockabillity.

I was thinking the same thing thus my reasoning for skipping out on the SSD. Just wanted to give a rough idea for a build

I was thinking the same thing thus my reasoning for skipping out on the SSD. Just wanted to give a rough idea for a build

Yeah, when you have such a strict budget, Getting additionals like an SSD is useless. Good selection on the motherboard though :D

$900- 100 Windows 7 Home Premium OEM (save $15-20 on sale) anyone you know a college student with access to ED discount?
$800- 200 Asus VW246H Monitor ( VS247H-P $180-30 EMCJHHK29 TILL 12/26)
$600- $120 Intel I3 2120 3.3
(AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.0 95W AM3 $125 [$15 gift card thru 12/25])
$480- $125 - $10 MIR Asrock Z68 Extreme3 $125
$110 Biostar TZ68A+
$123 - $10 MIR Gigabyte GA Z68M-D2H
$133 Asus P8Z68-V LE
AMD $98 Asrock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
$355- $40 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CAS9
$42 Corsair low profile 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CAS9
$44 G'Skill Ripjaws X 2X4gb DDR3 1600 CAS9
$313- $30 CM Hyper 212+ ($20.63 from Amazon if you know someone with Prime)
$280 What is left out? Intel won't use IDE drive.

$200 for SSD
$80 to upgrade processor to Intel I5 2500 $210- $15 EMCJHJA32 thru 12/25 = $195
or add $20 for I5 2500K at $220
Someone add links please

What is the consensus on my existing 550w power supply? Keep the advice coming please it is much appreciated. Any good options for me on an intel based design?

Which Cooler Master PSU and how old is it? High Temperature (internally) in use ages power suppplies, low temps not much.
Corsair CX500 or CX600, Antec Earthwatts EA500D, BP550 Plus, EA650, NEO ECO 520 or 620.
The Video Card determines power needed. At the moment the Cooler Master Silent PRO 600M (semi modular) is $100 before $30 MIR.
Corsair CX600v2 is $72 before $20 rebate (CX500 is $62 before a $10 rebate)
Antec NEO ECO 620 $69. NEO ECO 520C $63. High Current Gamer series HCG
Rosewill Capstone 450 $65.
Most of these appear on sale for less.
ncixus has the Corsair VX550 for $60 shipped with code 25984-1301, not sure if its dated but a long time favorite.
Actually forgot the video card in the above as an HD 6950 at $210 is very good. Or a GTX 560 TI 1 GB. newegg has several good names around $210 +/- $20 before or after rebates. I'm fond of EVGA and Sapphire, many others.

Which Cooler Master PSU and how old is it? High Temperature (internally) in use ages power suppplies, low temps not much.
Corsair CX500 or CX600, Antec Earthwatts EA500D, BP550 Plus, EA650, NEO ECO 520 or 620.
The Video Card determines power needed. At the moment the Cooler Master Silent PRO 600M (semi modular) is $100 before $30 MIR.
Corsair CX600v2 is $72 before $20 rebate (CX500 is $62 before a $10 rebate)
Antec NEO ECO 620 $69. NEO ECO 520C $63. High Current Gamer series HCG
Rosewill Capstone 450 $65.
Most of these appear on sale for less.
ncixus has the Corsair VX550 for $60 shipped with code 25984-1301, not sure if its dated but a long time favorite.
Actually forgot the video card in the above as an HD 6950 at $210 is very good. Or a GTX 560 TI 1 GB. newegg has several good names around $210 +/- $20 before or after rebates. I'm fond of EVGA and Sapphire, many others.

It is a 7 year old Coolermaster 550w. I knew when I bought it that it was highly rated. It was in use in my water cooled system so it should not have seen high temperatures.

A bit of an update on my plans after much research and kind advice. I am homing in on what I think I am going with. Please look it over and make comments and suggest changes. This article was particularly of interest http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

I5-2500k from amazon $195.
Asus vs248h-p 24" monitor $166

From Newegg:

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB $153
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $33
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220561

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III SSD $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227725

XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Cpu Cooler $33
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner $17
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

This totals 867 and I am pretty happy with that price but I am sure there may be products that are a few dollars cheaper or even a big gain to be had for a little more. Prices include shipping and mail in rebates. 55 dollars is mail in rebates.

I will be reusing my case, PS, and HDD as of this point anyhow.

Please add suggestions and let me know what you guys think.

STOP DONT GET THAT PRO3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that MOBO is the worse MOBO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the sound card broke on my 2 times already!!!!!

I like your list but a few things about it.

Your totaling up price after rebate. I never do that. One because you still have to put out the total up front now. You never know when you'll get rebates back. Sometimes you don't. Plus I am really bad about sending them in. I just let like $55 in rebates die this month lol so bad, but damn i dealing with them.

I would definitely try and squeeze the extra $25 for a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board but you always take a little bit of a gamble with Asrock boards. There is a reason they are cheaper than the rest. They use cheaper parts. Which can lead to doa issues or premature death or just a nightmare of problems you never know. I've had decent luck with Asrock boards myself.

Also I really don't know if your 7 year old CM psu is gonna cut it. Does it even have the proper mb connectors for 24 pin atx and 8 pin cpu plugs?

My thoughts were on the rebates were to list them with the items for comparison purchase so I could keep straight which product cost what after the rebate was applied. I also wanted you to have the bottom line info available to you all without having to dig. I know there is a danger that I may not get all them. I would certainly consider a similar product without the rebate if it was priced close to the rebated items price as the superior product.

My power supply does have the proper connections. I am reconsidering though on that front as a newer and more efficient PS might just pay for itself in a year by reduced power bills. I could use some recommendations on that front for about 50 bucks or so.

Also I have found Windows 7 pro for about 20 bucks more than home premium. Is that worth it? I think the answer for me is no, but looking for a second opinion.

Thanks especially for the hint about the 20 dollar cpu cooler. I need more hints along the same line especially now that I am trying to squeeze in a power supply. Keep all the suggestions coming.

Taking everyone's advice I have added in a power supply.

How about this list?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mNP

$877 after rebates. I hate to rely on rebates that much, but I am still playing around with it some.

Please feel free to offer further advice and suggestions.

Back