• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kidynamite

Hello OC'ers. First I would like to thank everyone here for all the information on all the computing topics, sure has help me alot.

I've recently built a new computer with a little help from a friend, who seems to know abit about computers, sadly i don't. He also helped me overclock it but he is not around at the moment and I think I've ran into some problems, or maybe not, that is why I would like your honest opinions about this system and/or any information to improve performance.

Please note that I am a newbie, go easy on me.

Specs:
Intel i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz OC'ed at 126.8x37 4694 MHz
Asus P9X79 Deluxe Version 0906
Patriot Division IV DDR3-1866 4x4GB
AMD Radeon 6990
Corsair H80 Cooling system
Silverstone ST1200 1200W

Now the problem is my core speed, as shown in CPU-Z, is actually at 1522MHz with the multiplier at 12 even while playing CPU intensive games. Also my memory shows that it is a DDR3-1333.

I've also tried setting it back to normal and overclocking it again using the Asus AI Suite II's Auto Tuning option. After the process, i get a pop-up saying that overclock has been successful and it has been set to something in the 4500-4800MHz range but it drops to 1522 after a restart.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I'd like to hear your opinion and advice on overclocking this system.

Regards.

Hey Kidynamite, :welcome: to OCForums :)

Sounds like your Speedstep and C-states are enabled. Try going into the BIOS and looking for those settings under the CPU sub-menu, disable them and check if its still happening ;)

Good luck, and keep us posted :thup:

edit - if I'm talking over your head, don't worry about it, just LMK and I'll break it down.

Back