• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for feedback on my proposed watercooling loop for a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dhuum

Hey all. I'm putting together a new system I plan to build soon, and I wanted to get your opinions on the water cooling loop I'm thinking of doing. This is my first go at water cooling, but I've done a lot of reading and watching videos so I am familiar with the parts and pieces. Money isn't a huge factor for me because I really wan't a rock solid, well performing water cooling system. Anyways, below is my part list and proposed loop diagram.

Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev2
Radiator 1: Swiftech MCR420-XP Extreme Quad 120mm
Radiator 2: Swiftech MCR120-XP Extreme Single 120mm
Radiator Fans: x5 Silverstone AP181 120mm Fans
CPU Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee HD
GPU Waterblock: eVGA Nvidia 590 Classified Hydro Copper (native water cooling block)

It will be cooling the GPU mentioned above and an LGA 2011 i7-3960x CPU. I may possibly go dual 590s but I'm not 100% certain on that. I drew a diagram of my loop here:
Or simply: Reservoir > Pump > Quad Radiator > CPU Waterblock > Single Radiator > GPU Waterblock > back to the reservoir

I'm not really sure if the extra radiator is really necessary but I've seen people do this so I figured I'd throw it in there. Seems like some people also just skip it and go right to the GPU.

This will most likely be going in a Silverstone TJ11B-W base because of the room it offers at the bottom for the Quad radiator. Let me know what your thoughts are. Any improvements? Better parts? Take away something? etc.. Thanks for your feedback!

The quad radiator is probably sufficient for that build. If you want to add the extra 120mm rad though it wont hurt. Overall this looks like a pretty solid configuration to me.

I would say the extra 120 rad is a bit overkill but hey who here does love overkill. unless you do go with duel 590s then it might be needed. but to me looks like a solid build.

Probably want a bit more rad than that for 5 heat sources, looks about right for OC'd components to me though (for 3 heat sources). With the case you're using, you might as well bump to 120.4 and 120.2 and just max out the rad capacity of the bottom rather than having to (potentially) redo it later.

Fans could be better, check out these:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261778

Loop order doesn't matter, this is thoroughly covered in the sticky, have you read it?

Any reason you're using a d5 and not a DDC for that restrictive of a loop?

Thanks for the feedback all!

Any reason you're using a d5 and not a DDC for that restrictive of a loop?

Still learning my terminology - is that referring to the pump? Reading around I've heard people say the mcp655 is THE pump to get. This video had me sold too

Thanks again guys

Thanks for the feedback all!

Still learning my terminology - is that referring to the pump? Reading around I've heard people say the mcp655 is THE pump to get. This video had me sold too

Thanks again guys

Define best. To be honest, I do not trust any youtube reviews, I have yet to find someone who is even vaguely competent at putting anything but opinions into a video review. Find some reviews of topped DDCs, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Back