• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hows my first Intel OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvt.Dancer

So I was looking at getting some opinions on my newest OC for some people that have more expeirence to look at my voltages and temps to see if im safe this pic was taken after a 32 min prime 95 run with large FFT's i can get a good stable clock with 4.6 as well with a much lower voltage but if this is all safe and looks good or if im missing something please point it out!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also if anyone knows something about or where i can get more info on VRM frequancy settings that would be awesome thanks :D

Attachments

• Prime 95 Run.PNG
    Prime 95 Run.PNG
    127.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
If I can see that right, its so small, you got 1.458 core voltage and hitting 84c. When you try IntelBurn test it problably will hit 90c. Heat isn't good dude. I'm no expert, even learning myself but you dont need that much vcore. I've got an i7 2600k @2.5khz and I'm using 1.335v on vcore with temps at 74c in IntelBurn.

ETA: I'm learning about VRM too, I have mine at 350 as I see others using that figure.

well i know heats not good but iv been hearing people say its alright but preferably lower these temps are only reached in Prime 95 on large FFT's. Is there really a difference between intelburn and Prime 95?

The stats on the pic since i cant seem to get them larger are Max temp was 84c normal was 80-81 on that core, voltage will bounce slightly but is set at 1.435 CPU-z was reading it at 1.456 at that time.

I'm not new to overclocking in general just new to Intel which is where i need my advice as you can see my sig isnt updated yet.

I

IntelBurn Test is more intense stress testing. You will find problems in a hurry. Temps get hotter with that test too. You really want to find the lowest voltage for your CPU, keeping the heat down too.

i can get a good stable clock with 4.6 as well with a much lower voltage

I don't understand exactly. Your screenshot shows 1600MHz ie. a 16 multi under no load. Is the screenshot supposed to show an overclock higher than 4.6GHz?

If not, and you say you can get a stable 4.6GHz with a much lower voltage, why wouldn't you?

The Core Temp pic. shows a clock of 4.8GHz (100 x 48), and the reason for the lower x16 multiplier shown in the CPU-Z pic. is because power-saving options are enabled. A Vcore of 1.456V is too high for a 4.8GHz clock on a 2600. You shouldn't need to supply more than ~1.37-1.42V for that frequency.

interesting iv been gettinginstant BSOD's if i go any lower... i must be doing something wrong if i post some pics of my Voltages later when im off work you think i could get some help figureing out if im doing something wrong or if i just got an unlucky chip?

I did down clock to 4.6 with a voltage of 3.5 which was my last stable at that level but i didnt tweak much so i may beable to go lower on that.

Thanks for the reply redduc!

Shouldn't you always take CPU-Z over CoreTemp? I'm always getting erroneous readings from that program.

I've had my chip for 1 day and 4.8 was tricky. I kept the voltage fixed at 1.40 and tried 4.9, no boot, 4.8, boot to windows but hardware error BSODs, 4.7, everything runs very stable. Then I lowered my voltage to 1.35 (goes to 1.37 with load line calibration). I'm happy here, I think you should prefer 100MHz less if it means a disproportionately large drop in temperatures

Im just using coretemp for the temps because CPU-z doesnt read temps for voltages and actual clock i go with CPU-z.

And yes if i drop it 100MHZ and get to drop my core voltage below 1.4 than i would do it but im jsut starting there to see what this chip and my mobo can do and to learn about all the voltages and the VRM frequancies and what not.

Hopefully a little later this year ill be getting a real water cooling setup and beable to really push my chip to bench but until then i want to test out what i can do and really learn what this chip needs. im sure im just doing something wrong or neglecting something.

Again Intel's are new to me iv been over clocking for a while now and know all the basics i just need to learn more about what to do with the intels. its a big change from AMD different names for everything more options too.

It has nothing to do with your cooler. No sandybridge CPU needs more than a decent air cooler. You're just overvolting for that frequency. People aiming above 4.6 should read the 'advanced' guide.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2161-ASUS-P8P67-Series-Overclocking-Guide-and-Information

written by JJ of ASUS (aka ASUSIlluminati in forums) he's the product marketing manager for the ROG line.
Quote: "Generally 4.8GHz stability can be achieved at 1.400 – 1.425 Vcore now with PLL enabled"

Yea i havent updated it yet but right now till i get my water cooling parts ill be running an H60 running Push pull im thinking about getting a couple of high speed yate loons on it to cool a little better.

FMK i know plenty about heat stop acting like i know nothing. I am using the H60 right now thats whats on there and its staying pretty cool.

I was having alot of issues keeping under 1.4v when overclocking over 4.6ghz when setting the voltage manually.
I found that when i set an Offset i was able to keep the overclock at 4.6 at 1.34v.

have you tried setting the voltage as an offset rather than manual? that may assist you with dropping the vcore down and also assist with dropping the temps due to lower volts.

only a sugestion but worth a try?

its worth a try i need to experiment more for sure and ill take what ever advice or tricks people have found.

Last edited:
Ok so here are my voltages for my 4.6 clock. Now again i need to experiment more with how low i can go on the core voltage but i think i tried 1.32 on core voltage and it was haveing problems so here are my current voltage settings.

Attachments

• Voltages.PNG
    Voltages.PNG
    45.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Voltages2.PNG
    Voltages2.PNG
    38.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Voltages3.PNG
    Voltages3.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 47
  • VRM settings.PNG
    VRM settings.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 56
Try increasing your Load line calibration to the next notch. Also my DIGI+VRM CPU current protection is set to 140%. Try that.

Back