• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What size tubing should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjornbjorn

Registered
I am setting up my first loops I have a:

MCP655 with variable speed
Apogee HD
Black ice gtx 420 Rad
EK spin Reservoir

I am just cooling my CPU (980x) and I was told this was kind of overkill but it gives me the option in the future to cool other things if I want. What tubing should I use and what inside diameter? I want to use 1/2" ID but is this really overkill?

Also what is there a difference in power consumption from 1/2" ID to a smaller size diameter?

Power consumption should not change based on hose diameter. I use 7/16" because it has the same OD as 3/8" but can be forced onto a 1/2" barb. Granted its not quite as flexible as 3/8" tube because of the thinner wall. Really its a matter of preference. The only thing to avoid really is 1/4" tubing. Its just too restrictive. Everything else performs nearly identical.

1/4" doesn't have that much impact. Granted that's an old waterblock in testing, but still. link
*Oh, and the pump top modification in my sig involved opening up the 3-4mm hole behind the discharge fitting...one of the tops that outperformed the stock top by a decent margin...

I'm using 1/2" tubing myself. It fits all the fittings my parts came with. My cooler is external so I don't have a bend radius problem. I've used 3/8" without worry for years too.
Dealer's choice!

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I may be using the 7/16ths as well, I seam to remember dipping the tubing in boiling water to fit it all.
Blasted old age! :rofl:

Tubing size matters a bit. Thin wall, under 1/16" per WALL, meaning total wall 1/8". Under that can mean kinking etc.

Don't cheap on your tubing. Primochill can be used for a few rebuilds, so it's actually cheaper.

And easy to work with.

QUALITY**** 7/16 on 1/2 makes me happy every day. mcmaster has great tubing that lasts a long time, flexible and strong.

.6745 - .250 (.125x2) = .4245 (.4375 = 7/16)
Shrinkage for being over 2 years old....

And yes, I have calipers. Mitutoyo CD-6"P :D

I figured you would, you seem like the kinda guy who has em lying around...we engineering types, we're a special breed.

Probably Home Depot. I don't buy the fancy stuff. I have cool-coils for color. It's just a tube to get water from A to B after all.
The Silicone Rubber tubing I'd gotten from McMaster-Carr lasted and lasted though. It went through 3 rigs, just got too short to reuse after that.
The only markings are "For Product Warnings Call 1-800-xxx...."

@m0r7if3r: Shop foreman actually, ran the auto press department for 10 years (1,000 ton and up). I have Scales, I/O Mics and taper gauges too.

@m0r7if3r: Shop foreman actually, ran the auto press department for 10 years (1,000 ton and up). I have Scales, I/O Mics and taper gauges too.

Doesn't matter if you have the degree or not, as far as I'm concerned, you're an engineer...I've seen the stuff you build :D

Back