• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.0Ghz on Phenom II 925

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SStrokerAce

Been playing with this for about a month and just started turning it up on my water system....

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216899

286 x 14 @ 1.55V with 24°-35° Temps

I've ran Prime95 with it and watched Netfliks etc... at the same time, seems to be doing well!

ASUS M4A88T-M
Crucial 8GB PC3-10700 @ 762 Mhz
AMD Phenom II 925 4.0Ghz
Swiftech Apogee, Pump and twin 120mm Radiator

I don't know if this is the limit but I'm sure happy to get a 1.2Ghz OC!

Bret

I assume you have tested Prime95 for a couple of hours with HWMonitor open in the background logging the CPU CORE temps. Core temps is what we look for. <55c is considered very good for stability.

Looks like you got the parts and pieces for the good overclock you have. Assume it is DDR1600 ram, running at DDR1600 since I see that a lot with the guys pushing the hexacore 1055T and the 14 multiplier @ 286 FSB.

RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Single Channel << That from your CPUz link. You are not running the ram in dual channel. Dual Channel is usually governed by which ram slots the ram is installed into. Most mobo manuals have chart showing which ram goes where for SC vs DC.

Yeah it's single channel... I have the multiplier at the 5.25 setting which should be the DDR1333 setting. I'm thinking I might speed it back down to the DDR1000 setting because this is as high as the RAM goes at these timings. Or I might just losen up the timing some because it will run higher than this with 10-10-10-28-38.

During normal use it runs about 27°C, and when I turn Prime95 on while I go out it runs for a few hours at a time up to about 34-35°C and I haven't had any errors yet.

I really don't know if this is the limit on this one yet.... it's 11th on the list over at hwbot right now, I might try and push for 4.1 or a little more 4.24 is 2nd place on air!

Right now it's cold here at 18°C inside.

I'm using the PC Probe II for the ASUS board.

This cooling setup is really efficient I really like that Apogee block. Think my fan speed is about 1100rpm too or something low like that.

I am wondering if Asus Probe gives the actual core temp or the cpu temp.

Even with 18°C and a very good WC setup, 35°C is not possible on the cores at this voltage.

It's 36° now in the middle of a prime run.... maybe the temp sensor is reading low? It would be nice if they would put a ambient sensor in there as well. Also is saying 1.52V currently as well.

I remember when I designed it and checked it out with the spreadsheet to rate the system it was WAY overkill, which was the goal to keep the pump speed and fan speed as low as possible for noise.

Ok geeked out and pushed it to the limits....

http://hwbot.org/submission/2246195_sstrokerace_cpu_frequency_phenom_ii_x4_925_4256.37_mhz/

2217893.png

#2 on the hwbot list for this chip, that's enough.... dialing it back to 4.0Ghz and tweaking it... trying the RAM down @ 572 with tighter timings. See how it acts now.

wish I could get even a hair of that OC. my 925 wont POST with even a slight OC. I tried it with only 210x14 and it wouldnt power on.
but I also cant set my voltages that high, max is 1.33v for both CPU and FSB.

most likely motherboard related as Ive never had great OC experience with MSI boards.
my old setp, with an athlon 64x2 6k+ on the M2NSLI-deluxe ran stable @ 3.6g for 5 yrs with a full watercooled setup (CPU/GPU/N-S bridges)

I don't know how I missed this thread... I'm gonna give u a run for your money SSAce. My loop is up, letting everything settle as I get use to my first WC loop. I'll push it in a day or two, mayb on a cold night and see what I can do. Previous to WC loop I as stable at just below 3.8ghz.

d0sitmatr, u must b doing something wrong. do you have a thread open for your cpu oc?

I had to look this thread up to remember my settings on this since I'm adding a Samsung 840 SSD and another 8GB of RAM when I install Win7.

Still runs strong at 3.9+ all the time!

Back