• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4.0Ghz Air Cooled - First Time Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuantumHackCode

Registered
Just looking for some feedback or criticism here guys, this is the first overclock I've ever done.

Programs Used: CPU-Z, CoreTemp, Prime95, AMD Overdrive

Hardware Used: ASRock 970 X4//AMD Phenom II X4 965//Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo//MSI Twin Frozr III HD7850//Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3//WD VelociRaptor 10KRPM 500GB HDD// SilverStone Strider 80+ Bronze 500W//4x 120mm Fans//1x 160mm Fan

Screenshots of results:

http://tinypic.com/r/dxfdpl/5 -Just before ending Prime95
http://tinypic.com/r/xoh8c2/5 -After ending Prime95
http://tinypic.com/r/i79bhc/5 -Screenshot of CPU-Z, Coretemp, & Overdrive
http://tinypic.com/r/dwazqo/5 -Prime95 results

Welcome to OCF Quantum
Looks good so far we typically use HWmonitor for temps and volts as it give a core temp and socket temp. I didn't see anything on your NB frequency. You are near the end of your cooling though. We recommend that you stay 60° or lower on the core. Here's a really informative guide to read will help you tune in that OC.

I agree with "Johan45" in that we normally look for certain screenshots posted or attached to the forum. If you like what you got then go for it and good luck man.
RGone...

I do like the increased performance while gaming, however being so close to the gallows with the cooling does concern me. I watched it for maybe an hour or so and it tends to vary between 57-60, only occasionally spiking above 60 before going back down shortly after. This OC is mostly for fun and to see how far this CPU can be pushed, soon it will be replaced by an FX 8350. Dolk's guide states never go above 55, whereas everywhere else I've researched states the max safe temp is 62 for daily use. Lastly, where can I find HWmonitor?(EDIT: Google, found it.)

Last edited:
WE USUALLY RECOMMEND 60 BUT JUST LIKE THE STICKER SAYS IF YOU RUN THIS PRODUCT OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS ALL BETS ARE OFF !! Sorry for the caps that's a bit of a handicap of mine. So to sum it up it's your equipment so that's up to you. If you're not doing much really intensive work the CPU doesn't work at 100% very often.

I do like the increased performance while gaming, however being so close to the gallows with the cooling does concern me. I watched it for maybe an hour or so and it tends to vary between 57-60, only occasionally spiking above 60 before going back down shortly after. This OC is mostly for fun and to see how far this CPU can be pushed, soon it will be replaced by an FX 8350. Dolk's guide states never go above 55, whereas everywhere else I've researched states the max safe temp is 62 for daily use. Lastly, where can I find HWmonitor?(EDIT: Google, found it.)

55c is pretty warm, usually loss of stability once over this temp.

62c is processor max at stock speeds. Some people follow this guideline temp for an overclock, but in reality, the faster you go, the more you want to cool it.

On the lower wattage chips, I've noticed if temps are under 50c at load, 4.2-4.4ghz can be a common overclock on liquid cooling. If your going to use air on the FX chip, your clocks will most likely average only 4.4-4.6ghz and the FX has a max temp of 72c which is a little nicer to have that extra 10c for headroom.

So how do I test for stability? its survived 2 runs (one at 8hrs, one at 10) at this OC already, does that mean stable?

Prime is a very good indicator for stability, you've got it.Just saying unless you do something with the cooling you're at your limit. What are you using for a case ?

QuantumHC, after I believe 10 posts or an hour after the first you can edit your signature to look like ours, see below. It will help us help you when overclocking. Here is how. On my 955be 4.0-4.1 was about all it had as far as temps go with my CM 212+ on it. If you add an additional fan on it you can see about another 2-3 temp drop, all depending on your ambient temp and the fan you use.

In addition, if you do plan on buying a Fx 8xxx processor in the future, by all means talk to us first. We will help you figure out what components you will need to run it. If planning on overclocking it you will need very high quality cooling.

I've updated my sig. I'm using the Rosewill Challenger case. I have another Twin Frozr and 120mm fan in the mail, I want to crossfire bridge it with my current gpu, and then when I can get my old xbox sold, i'll buy the fx3 cpu

PSU : SilverStone Strider Plus 80+ Bronze 500W

I'd replace this with something a little bigger. I use 850w and up personally just to feel comfortable and have some headroom. Having a PSU that's overkill will ultimately run cooler as well.

Yeah, I just used ASUS' power calculator, im going to need ALOT more than what I've got right now...

EDIT: According to the ASUS PSU calculator, my current build is 50w over my psu....?? Also, I see 850w PSUs ranging from $40 - $200+ What should I buy??

Last edited:
ASRock 970 X4 = Did you say you just ordered another ATI video card for CrossfireX? That 970 chipset is going to run the main card at 16x transfer speed and the other at 4x transfer speed. That is going to be a sort of a waste of another video card seems to me.
RGone...

EDIT:
Plus those cheaper Asrock 970 boards are not really up to an FX-8350. They just don't have a powerfull enough VRM circuit to push an 8 core processsor. So many have had problems just reaching 4.4Ghz with 8 cores. If you game an FX-8350 at only 4.4Ghz is certainly not going to outperform a good 965BE at 4.0/4.1Ghz. Not for gaming and not for must benches in use today.
END EDIT.

Any suggestions as to a new mobo then?

Also, where can I get accurate PSU calculations done? I've used ASUS's and Extreme Outervision's and the ASUS one vary quite a bit. With the build I'm shooting for, ASUS says I need 750+, whereas outervision says I'll actually use less power than my current build.

Thanks RGone!!! Besides my current wattage for my current build which is great for what I'm doing, but I'd like to take it just that one notch up. I'd like to utilize crossfired HD7850s, and the fx3 8350 on top of a new mobo, what will I need psu wise? Is there a specific resource you use, so I don't have to bug y'all with newbie questions?

2 x 7850 = Max of 250 watts full out gaming.
Mobo including chipset and other power consumers is roughly 120 watts this includes ram.
Cpu full on, WFO probably about a true 125 watts at a MAX.
Fans and hardrive you show = about 30 watts MAX.

So what is that total based on what I see in your signature?
415 watts. When we used to spec systems all the time we would adjust the power supply watts rating upward by 10 to 20% to account for upgrades later and for the fact that a power supply is only X amount effecient. The better (read more expesive) power supplies are generally more efficient.

So 10% would be an added 41.5 watts to the 415 watts.
So 20% would be an added 83 watts to the 415 watts.

Since the whole schmear rounded up would be a shade less that 500 watts and you have
a Bronze Strider you might be exactly at the break over/out/even point.
RGone...

EDIT:
If I were thinking to move to an FX-8350 you need to add about 100 watts to what the power supply would put out. So about 600 watt g00d power supply in Silver or Gold rated. I have not seen many flat out g00d 600 watt supplies that I remember so I certainly would get a good 650watt one that has very good effeciency rating. The Silver or Gold rating refers to effeciency at X temps.

I would not go FX-8350 unless you want to spend a good bit more to get a good board like an Asus 990FX Sabertooth R 2.0 non-GEN3 so far. And to make moving to FX really worthwhile you will need a really good water cooling setup at a minimum. The mini-loop H100 was the very smallest mini-loop most of us recommended for a max of about 4.6Ghz. You can spend time to tweak a mini-loop and add to it and tweak it and they just do only fair.

That should give you plenty to absorb when thinking to overclock an AMD FX 8 core processor.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
So if I want to move to a crossfired gpu and the 8350, I need the asus mobo, better psu, and IF I choose to overclock the 8350, ill need water cooling? I'll be doing this build probably one or two parts at a time. Without water cooling would I still be able to do a mild clock on the 8350? And basically, from what I'm reading, I shouldn't slap any of these parts on my machine until I've got them all, rather than stick them in gradually.

EDIT: Would it be better to crossfire 2 frozr's or should I get a better gpu overall?

EDIT2: I'm thinking Sabertooth, 650 80+ Bronze, FX8350, and XXX GPU? Or Why not just use my 970 w/ an 8350 and just get a better gpu??

Last edited:
EDIT: Would it be better to crossfire 2 frozr's or should I get a better gpu overall?

My answer >> You need to move to a g00d 990FX type board to get a good enough VRM power circuit and it will do good CrossfireX. So it might be cheaper to CrossfireX the 7850. That is "my" thinking. YMMV

EDIT2: I'm thinking Sabertooth, 650 80+ Bronze, FX8350, and XXX GPU? Or Why not just use my 970 w/ an 8350 and just get a better gpu??

My answer >> I would never be able to put up with the cpu overclock available on that weak 970 chipsetted Asrock mobo.

RGone...

Unfortunately, I cannot spare enough to overhaul the entire machine per your suggestions. My new goal is to go with the sabertooth and a better gpu, though I'm still confused. So here's where I stand...

Which is better, two crossfired 7850's or a single high performance gpu such as the 7970?
How far can the 970 push the 8350? For my application of it, I'm only going to need 4.3-4.5ghz.

I'm currently hoping to keep my current build but just slamming the 8350 into my 970. After I sell off my xbox, I can maybe afford to do one more upgrade. EDIT: Maybe a new mobo/cpu however, ive got to find one that can support both my ram and the 8350. And for around $150-ish

EDIT2: I think I've found the board, the MSI 990FXA-GD65

Last edited:
Back