• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Overclocking AMD Phenom II X6 1050T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

niscom

Registered
Hello everyone!

I am new to these forums and would love some advice on my AMD Phenom II X6 1050T overclock.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1050T (Socket AM3 - Thuban) 2.8GHz stock
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti
RAM: 8GB (4x2) DDR2 800 PC2-6400 (CL5-5-5-15 1.8V stock)
MB: Asus M4A785-m
Cooling: Gamer Storm Captain 120
PS: Corsair RM1000 W
Airflow: 1x140mm front intake fan
1x120mm bottom intake fan
1x120mm side intake fan (over GPU)
2x140mm top exhaust fans
1x120mm rear exhaust fan (push setup through water cooled radiator)

Overclocking settings:
bios1.JPG bios2.JPG

CPU-Z
cpuz1.jpg cpuz2.jpg

So far I have overclocked my cpu to 3.85GHz with prime95 stability test over 2 hours passing all blend tests. Idle temps are 32C and under stress testing average around 51C and max 56C. I would like some advice on my temps, voltages, settings and whether they look correct or not.
Also my HT Link Speed only goes up to 1400MHz in the bios. Is this speed good enough for the higher CPU/NB speed as long as it's below it?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Especially how to get my oc to 4GHz.

Last edited:
If you have that CPU overclocked to 3.85 Prime95 stable on that motherboard you are doing way better than most. I feel you have gotten every ounce out of that combo. As far as your CPU/NB frequency, you may find that any more separation between the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency will have a negative effect on the overclock. Generally, the Thuban core CPUs like those two close together.

Thanks for the quick reply trents!

So would you recommend I drop the multiplier from 8x (2200MHz) to a value closer to 1400MHz and stress test again using prime95? Should I reduce the multiplier by 1 and test that way or go for a value closer to the HT (1400MHz) right off the bat?

Also, I know there is a lot of debate on how long to run prime95 it for, so in your opinion how long would you suggest I run prime95 for to test for stability?

I don't think I would touch a thing, you are right on the line when it comes to temps and around 3.8 is right where I like to run thubans.
only a few things like folding or rosette will make heat like p95 so you are good to go in my book.
very good job of clocking it!!!

Thanks! I'll have to admit it was a lot of trial and error because I didn't know what I was doing really in the beginning. But after reading posts from this forum I finally understood what to do. I still don't fully understand the memclock values. Why is 200MHz at a 1:1 ratio more stable than 333MHz or 400MHz at a higher ratio?

Also, should I test prime95 for longer than 2 hours that I've currently done? Some say 24hrs, is this really necessary?

Thanks for the quick reply trents!

So would you recommend I drop the multiplier from 8x (2200MHz) to a value closer to 1400MHz and stress test again using prime95? Should I reduce the multiplier by 1 and test that way or go for a value closer to the HT (1400MHz) right off the bat?

Also, I know there is a lot of debate on how long to run prime95 it for, so in your opinion how long would you suggest I run prime95 for to test for stability?

No, I'm not suggesting lowering the CPU/NB. If it's stable, it's stable. I'm saying I would expect you would soon encounter instability if you tried to raise it more so as to create more separation between CPU/NB and HT Link frequencies. IMO, passing 2 hr. of Prime95 blend is plenty of evidence that the overclock is stable.

Thanks again trents. I'm going to run prime95 tomorrow for 3+hours to see if my system is still stable and i'll get back to you on the results. So far you've all been very positive and I thank you for that.

NIce OC there! :clap:

Edit: you can try OC'ing the CPU-NB to 2600/2800MHz, it gives a nice performance boost on Denebs/Thubans.
MAx voltage is 1.35v IIRC...

So I ran prime95 overnight and I had a worker 5 failure after 2.5 hours. Should I still up the nb frequency to try and stabilize it or try upping the cpu core voltage a tad and test again?

A little more vcore.
Don't do anything with the NB until you know it's stable.
What is the load temp while prime is running?

Temps max out at 55C but it averages 51C under load. I'll try upping the vcore a bit and report back.

You're right at the instability point temp wise. More vcore might make it worse. Report back after you check it out.

So upped the vcore a notch to 1.40625 and ran prime95 for 9 hours until I got a worker 5 "Fatal Error: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4". I thought I had it this time. Any more advice? I feel like i'm really close to a stable system.

I also had speedfan running the last time when I was measuring my temps and had the fans at a limited speed. My load temps are around 48C.

A little more vcore.
Don't do anything with the NB until you know it's stable.
What is the load temp while prime is running?

So I raised rhe vcore a tad to 1.41250 and p95 has been running for 12 hours with no issues. Should I even attempt messing with the NB? Or be done and happy with my overclock haha?

My temps are around 47-48C while under load.

I would, there's a good boost for the thuban by overclocking the NB.

Well I stopped p95 after 16 hours. I've taken all your advice and I've raised my NB to 2750 @ x10 and I'm going to run p95 again for s few hours. I'll report back :) so far so good. If it's not stable will I have to adjust the NB voltage?

So far so good with my NB raised to 2750 (10x) at 1.35V. Temps seem to be good and the increase in cpu/nb voltage has stabilized my computer. Thank you all so much for all the help and advice. I am seriously enjoying this overclock and couldn't have done it without you guys.

I am confident that it's stable so far at 10.5 hours testing on prime95. My last test will have to be 24 hours when I have the chance before I am completely happy.

Cheers everyone!!! And thanks again!

Back