• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calebsdeq

Registered
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice and suggestions while overclocking my 1090t please.

I am running:

AMD 1090t
Corsair H60 water cooling
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ballistix Tactical
Corsair CX600
ASRock summit (will find out soon)
2 F12 Arctic Cooling intake fans

The issue I am having is when I turn Turbo Boost off and leave the voltage standard at 1.425 I can run 3.6-3.8 without an issue. However, as soon as I touch the voltage, even up it to 1.450 or 1.475 the machine just hangs and cuts out straight away. I have also crept the multiplier up and as soon as I get to 3.9 the machine hangs.

I have gone to 1.5v and as soon as I hit apply the system hangs. The temps never exceed 40C due to being in a garage and the cooling in the system.

I am using AOD for now coz I am trying to get a feel for it and based on the instability I don't wanna do BIOS just yet.

Please can someone offer some advice and if you need any more info let me know.

Thank you.

You're likely taxing the Motherboard harder than it can handle. What model board is your Asrock?

FYI, BIOS overclocking will almost always be more stable than software overclocking.

Also, Welcome to the Forums!

First, what is your motherboard? Need to know if it's capable of handling the 1090T
I would also dump AMD OD in favour of BIOS OC. Just go into BIOS and set the multi for 3.8 GHz and then test the thermals/stability with P95 and use something like HWinfo64 to keep an eye on temps and note what voltage the system is using for the Core this will come in handy as a starting point.
EDIT: @ Blay touché

Thank you for the welcome guys!

I have tried BIOS OCing before when i had a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo but will try it again if you guys are saying so :)

My motherboard is an ASRock 970A-G/3.1, I also have an old Phenom x4 8 summit, so I can test overclocking with that.

Thank you!

That's a pretty solid Motherboard for an overclock so you're probably just reaching the limits of that CPU.

Try overclocking in the BIOS and see if it helps. Another option to try is by overclocking with the FSB instead of the multi. Just keep in mind this will also overclock your ram so you might need to adjust your DRAM voltage or even lower your settings depending on where they are running. (i.e keep you multi at 19 and raise your FSB to 205, if it passes try 207. If it fails add some DRAM voltage and try again. )

Thank you very much. I was so glad you said the motherboard was solid!

I will try the BIOS thank you. I have only ever played with the multiplier tbh...

I was aiming to reach 4-4.2Ghz on this CPU and cooler. I have heard other had got this and more but appreciate each chip is different. Does it sound like I've got one that does not have this much capability?

Thank you!

4-4.2Ghz should be reachable as most are hitting 4.5Ghz. But as they say there is definitely a silicon lottery at play. As a point of reference the best my 1090T will do with ambient cooling is 4.4Ghz.

Thank you for the info, makes me feel a bit more optimistic!

Can I just ask, what games you run on yours? Do you play any Total War games and what GPU are you running?

Thanks

The 1090T is in my back up gaming/overflow rig and I think the heaviest game that gets played on it is Heroes of the Storm. LOL It's a very low requirement game. The GPU in there is a Sapphire HD7980 Vapor-X.

Edit: If I'm unable to sell my current i7-4790k build then this 1090T build will get a hefty upgrade. :thup:

Aha, fair enough! I can play Ark on almost Ultra but Rome II struggles on Extreme, I know the game is very single core CPU heavy so wanted to hear from someone else who has an OCed 1090T.

I will try BIOS OCing soon.

Thank you very much!

While you are in the BIOS you can also raise your CPU-NB speed to improve system memory and Level 3 cache performance.

Stock is 2.0Ghz and most Phenom II thuban chips will run stable up to 2.8Ghz - 3.0Ghz. Keep your CPU-NB voltage below 1.35v for 24/7 use.

CPU voltage should be in the ~1.5v range for 4.0Ghz and that's about what you can expect on average for your CPU.

Also remember to clock your memory and confirm that it is running at full speed, I assume it's DDR3 1600?

4-4.2Ghz should be reachable as most are hitting 4.5Ghz. But as they say there is definitely a silicon lottery at play. As a point of reference the best my 1090T will do with ambient cooling is 4.4Ghz.

Eh...I don't think so.
Most are lucky to hit 4.0-4.1 on ambient water. If you're doing 4.4 on ambient, you're doing better than me. I have a hard time at 4.0 and have better than average WC.
I've had 4 of these now and all do about the same.
Could be silicon lottery though. My 960T will do 6 cores at 4.5.

Eh...I don't think so.
Most are lucky to hit 4.0-4.1 on ambient water. If you're doing 4.4 on ambient, you're doing better than me. I have a hard time at 4.0 and have better than average WC.
I've had 4 of these now and all do about the same.
Could be silicon lottery though. My 960T will do 6 cores at 4.5.

This. There seems too be a lot of chatter about these spectacular Thuban overclocks. They are hot chips and not great OC'ers as a general rule. I'll take a un-locked 960T or B95 any day.

Sorry, I need to clarify. The clocks I mentioned were for benching not stable 24/7.

Sorry for the confusion.

I would try to isolate the issue. Try stock everything then just up the CPU voltage. If it hangs then you know it won't run in that configuration at that voltage at any overclock. If you had alot of spare parts you could swap out parts like MB and PSU to see if it's them.

Good luck with the overclock.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Seems I might have been better off with my old 995!!

I have got a day off today so will try and get some results. Didn't get a benchmark last night but played Rome II for an hour or so at 3.8Ghz at 1.425v and got 30c at max...

Thanks everyone!

This. There seems too be a lot of chatter about these spectacular Thuban overclocks. They are hot chips and not great OC'ers as a general rule. I'll take a un-locked 960T or B95 any day.

Actually they OC well BUT the trick to it is obviously keeping them cool enough to do it in the first place.

These hex cored chips heat up fast as in mad-fast, esp under load and they do get hot, easily hitting the thermal limit.

My 1100T chip showed me this right from the start and with ambient temps on water I could get 4.2 out of it but no more. Chilled water let me get it to about 4.3ish and that was the limit with that kind of cooling.
Anything beyond that you have to either have a really good chip, great cooling or just go sub-zero and be done with it but once you do freeze it, becomes another story provided your pot is good enough.

The OP will have to experiment with what voltage it can run vs the speeds they get. Once you start volting up past 1.42v's or so temps become an issue even on water as mine showed me when I was messing around with it. Typically 4.0 is about what you'll get with any good cooling and not have it crashing or just getting too hot in general.

However it would be more practical to just pick up a 960T and run that provided you don't need the extra threads/cores. ;)

Hence my hot chip and general rule comment. The extreme cooling overclocking you and I use is not really a "general rule OC.

Back