• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys,

Just an update. The best I can seem to get ATM is 3.8Ghz at 1.5v. As soon as I go 3.9, it BSOD after 5 mins in Prime95. I guess the best I can get is 3.8 and will look to wind down voltage.

Anyone got any advice to see if I can squeeze to 4Ghz?

Hottest it got so far is 51.

Cheers!

Within the range of what people typically were able to reach. Some were able to hit 4.0 or a bit more with really good mobos and top notch cooling but not all by any means if my memory serves me correctly. Also, if the CPU was previously overlocked to the edge they get weaker over time.

Sounds like you just didn't quite hit the silicone lottery. Still, 3.8 so not a BAD result, just not super impressive either.

That being said, it would be nice if you could post up a CPUz screenshot of the CPU and Memory tabs so we can take a better look at how your system ticks.

CPUz is a free download and highly recommended. You can get it here

What program are you using to monitor your temps? I recommend core temp for real time temp monitoring. Also freeware.

Sounds like you just didn't quite hit the silicone lottery. Still, 3.8 so not a BAD result, just not super impressive either.

That being said, it would be nice if you could post up a CPUz screenshot of the CPU and Memory tabs so we can take a better look at how your system ticks.

CPUz is a free download and highly recommended. You can get it here

What program are you using to monitor your temps? I recommend core temp for real time temp monitoring. Also freeware.
Good call Storm!

Hi guys!

First of all, sorry for my slow response; it has got to a busy time of the year!

Thank you everyone for all of your help, it has been great. I see some comments about the CPU being not the best for overclocking and running cooler, currently under load (Rome II in Ultra and Ultra Unit Sizes) I hit about 35c which I don't think is that bad but I am in a garage so is colder environment there. Would there be a better CPU using AMD3/3+ as I am expecting to get some spare money soon and wanna invest.

Thank you for all your help, I have noticed a clear difference in the performance of CPU heavy games and find it a lot more enjoyable! :D

I have attached my CPU-Z screenshot, please let me if I have got the screenshot correct.

Thank you everyone again! :D

CPU-z 3.8Ghz.PNG

Depends on your requirements I suppose. A Zosma such as a 960T BE could gain you another 200-300Mhz (perhaps more) but of course you'd be subject to having to unlock and hope for stability if you feel you need 6 cores. Or an FX on the AM3+ side which would give the same amount of cores or more ahnd more GHz given sufficient cooling.

Having said all that I'd go with a 960T. FX are hot as hell and really don't offer a huge advantage over Phenom II especially clock for clock.

If your feeling the overclocking bug for real you could pick up a Phenom II B95. They have a good unlock record, a 17 mulit. and you can push the FSB speeding up your RAM if it's capable,

In my opinion, depending on how much spare money we're talking, your best bet is to invest in something more current. I wouldn't throw money into a platform that is now several generations dead.

How old is your Power Supply? The first gen CX line apparently was known to have power issues as a result of bad caps. 600 watts should be enough for your GTX 1060 and the overclock but I don't know that you have a lot of headroom there.

Thank you for the answer. I appreciate that newly technology exists but I don't have enough cash to consider replacing a solid mono I bought just over 12 months ago. Thank you though.

I have a 956 CPU on hand but don't know if this will be much better. Wish I had kept my 995...

I have a 750W PSU spare but is unbranded so don't trust it as much

Are you familiar with CPU-NB overclocking on the Phenom II platform? This will directly improve your memory and Level 3 cache performance.

You should see an option to modify the CPU-NB multiplier in the BIOS, under custom P states. Stock is 2.0Ghz and most thubans will run in the 2.8-3.0Ghz range. I recommend incremental changes, as you slowly start bumping up the CPU-NB multiplier. As I said, 3.0Ghz should be doable at ~1.275 - 1.35 volts. Shouldn't need to go any higher than that in terms of voltage.

The Phenom II is still a very capable processor.

Thanks for everyone's help! Especially Storm Chaser!

I've managed to get my CPU up to 4Ghz and stable, might look into 4.2. CPU NB is up to 2800 and might try to reach for 3000. XMP applied to RAM and looking to moving the HT speed down to 1800.

Getting there, CPU not going over 40C underload and got over 15FPS in games so far as an average!

Thanks again and will update with progress!

Caleb

Good job caleb! Sounds like you've made some headway on the project since last we spoke. Just FYI: you can download AIDA64 (trial version) to see how your overclock performs relative to many other rigs, with benchmark comparisons of both old school, and more recent technology.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads (I recommend downloading the extreme edition)

Here is the "cache and memory benchmark" from AIDA64, a decent result from one of my hexacore rigs. You should be very close or on par with this result:

Capture1600T.PNG

"User benchmark" is also another handy, free, online benchmark to measure system performance:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/

Thank you very much storm-chaser! I will look into soon!

Quick question, I have been reading up on the 1090t CPU and CPU/NB is a big pulling power for these and the HT speed is more for the FX range. Also, lowering the HT will help to stabilise the OC and allow more headroom for clock and CPU/NB.

However, on your CPU the HT speed is up to 2400Mhz. How comes?

Excuse if I'm completely wrong aha!

Side note, I don't even play my games anymore just OC and benchmark!

Cheers,

Caleb

I have not found any performance or reliability correlation between HT speed and CPU-NB. Generally speaking you want to keep your HT link at or around the factory setting. No gains to be had from overclocking it, I was just doing some tweaking and happened to have a 2400 result this time around.

As you implied, overclocking the CPU-NB is where the real performance lies with the Phenom II platform, and you would be amazed at how often this one simple step is overlooked.

Thanks!

It looks like I can get some more out of this and water cooling is holding strong! I have reset HT to normal and cranked the CPU/NB to 3000. Reckon I can squeeze more out or dangerous territory?

Thanks!

It looks like I can get some more out of this and water cooling is holding strong! I have reset HT to normal and cranked the CPU/NB to 3000. Reckon I can squeeze more out or dangerous territory?

3000Mhz seems to be the limit for most chips. You can try for 3200, just be prepared for a no post scenario. I.e. you might need to reset all your overclock settings. CPU-NB is good to about 1.4v and since you are running liquid cooing heat should not be a concern.

calebsdeq, can you add a signature like we have, that way we know what components you have without looking up to the top of the thread, please. That said, you may want to try getting some active cooling on the Cpu/Nb heatsink and Vrm heatsink. If you get them cooler you may have a little more luck pushing the Cpu Nb Freq. Bottom line is this, play with the chip. You'll figure out what it likes and doesn't. As long as you do overheat it and keep the voltage to a relatively safe level you shouldn't harm anything.

Back