• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4.0Ghz Air Cooled - First Time Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You have no ides E_D the kind of power these rigs require. Manny sent me a message after he got his new PSU. With the 8350 in the 5.2 range and 1 GTX 580 oc'd he was reading 745 watts at the wall!!!

Oh I am well aware what the CPU needs, but that isn't the motherboard though. Perhaps I do not understand how things work, but from what I have seen (which doesn't make it correct of course) board power use is separate from the CPU (fed by 8pin)??

@QuantumHackCode

I cannot see clearly from pictures (coretemp program is little confusing), can you please tell me your voltages settings for CPU, CPU/NB and NB also how much is your NB frequency?

EDIT:

I looked closer to those pictures you were posted and if i see it correctly your CPU voltage is set to 1.3750 and your NB voltage is set to 1.100 all other settings is set to its default values except CPU/NB voltage which is not shown on pictures.

Whats confusing me here is that you with those settings are able to get stable OC for 10 hours with those temp because I have slightly lower temp on 1.5v and NB on 1.2 with same all other settings and with same cooler???

Last edited:
@QuantumHackCode

I cannot see clearly from pictures (coretemp program is little confusing), can you please tell me your voltages settings for CPU, CPU/NB and NB also how much is your NB frequency?

EDIT:

I looked closer to those pictures you were posted and if i see it correctly your CPU voltage is set to 1.3750 and your NB voltage is set to 1.100 all other settings is set to its default values except CPU/NB voltage which is not shown on pictures.

Whats confusing me here is that you with those settings are able to get stable OC for 10 hours with those temp because I have slightly lower temp on 1.5v and NB on 1.2 with same all other settings and with same cooler???

+1 I'm intrigued too!

I'm not familiar with how to use BIOS, a friend disabled/enable the bios settings for me using some guides online to allow for the overclocking, I did the rest via AMD Overdrive, here's a screen cap. The only settings I'm able to adjust are visible with little slider bars. I have touched nothing other than VCORE and Multiplier.

EDIT: BIOS has my NB Frequency listed as X10 (2000)

EDIT2: After reading Dolk's guide over and over and over again, it's slowly starting to make sense to me, so I adjusted NB Voltage, CPU-NB Voltage to 1.250, VCORE to 1.40, CPU Multiplier to 20(4000mhz) and my NB Frequency Multiplier to 13(2600mhz). If I understand the guide correctly, this should be relatively close to a stable OC... we'll see.

EDIT3: That overclock was wildy unstable, within 5 minutes I reached 61C, I immediately reverted to my initial 4.0 OC shown below, however, I made the changes via BIOS instead of Overdrive.

Attachments

• 4.0overview.jpg
    4.0overview.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back