• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Phenom II x6 overclocking help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hellraiser34

So basically i have the following specs and im trying to get my rig up to 4ghz

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1040T
Motherboard: Biostar A880G+
PSU: antec earthwatts 650w
GPU: AMD radeon 4890
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) running at stock 9-9-9-24

okay so i know i have a bad board for overclocking and i plan on upgrading but i dont have the money right now so im trying to make due with what i have

i currently have it stable at these setting (see snapshots attached)
my temps only get up to about 49-53c under stress so i think i still have some headroom

when i put the ref clock up to 260 or above i can boot into windows but when i start stress testing i get a black screen and have to restart. the computer is unresponsive to the power button so i have to switch it off at the psu. ive tried giving the cpu some more voltage and adjusting the ram timings and the nb and ht speeds but i keep getting the black screen i dont know if i have just hit a limit or im missing a setting any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• cpuz 1.PNG
    cpuz 1.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 551
  • cpuz 2.PNG
    cpuz 2.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 464
It looks like you should lower your memory multiplier and your ht link multiplier. Your memory is overclocked and might be what is holding you back.

Your temps seem ok but I am curious, what cooler are you using?

Last edited:
okay unfortunately with this board its and entry level board so it dosnt have a very easy bios but i lowered the ht speed down to 2ghz i have read that is the speed you want to keep it at right? and i lowered my ram speed from 1333 to 1066 because i couldn't find the ram multiplier in the bios now the ram is running at 667 mhz with 7-7-7-20-27 timings is that a good range?

yes, (667x2=1333) is your stock ram speed. As you increase the fsb it also increases your ram speed, so now it is back to stock speed. :thup:
Now that you have lowered those, you may be able to increase your cpu speed a bit more.

Please show us the "SPD" tab of CPU-z so we can see what the memory manufacturer is recommending for timings at various frequencies. The "Memory" tab only shows us what you are running it at currently but the timings may be too aggressive to allow more advancement of the fsb. That 1T CR looks especially suspicious. Your HT Link at 2502 is probably okay. The Thuban core CPUs seem to like the HT Link and the CPUNB to run neck and neck so if you will supplement the CPUNB voltage a little those should be okay for a little bit yet. They will usually go to about 2800 without problem as long as you supplement the CPUNB voltage to about 1.225-1.3.

Your temps seem ok but I am curious, what cooler are you using?

i using the corsair h40 liquid cooler

Please show us the "SPD" tab of CPU-z

i attached them and after i looked at them i adjusted them in the bois to mach also i lowered my nb down to match the ht speed because i didnt know what it should be running at or close to

Attachments

• spd.PNG
    spd.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 447
Back