• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing a shorted-out card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amicta

I have an ASUS Radeon 6970 card which I suspect may have shorted out. My display went blank (disappeared completely) and now the fans on the card rev up insanely fast. Quite strange, because it happened while my PC was idling... Anyway, was wondering if there's a way to fix that? I suspect fixing it would probably be beyond my capabilities, but it doesn't hurt to ask. You never know. Thanks. :)

My specs are:
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R
i5 2500k 4.3GHz
16 GB DDR3 Vengeance
Corsair AX750 PSU

I can't really figure how it could've shorted out, though, unless it may have been a dud card. I've owned it for about 4 months and it always worked great until now.

You can try the oven trick (search that at the site here for the thread). And see if that works, otherwise, there really isnt anything you can do but RMA the card.

You can try the oven trick (search that at the site here for the thread). And see if that works, otherwise, there really isnt anything you can do but RMA the card.

If the card is covered by the warranty then if he opened the card up and did the oven trick won't that void the warranty ???

Baking voids your warranty outright. If there is still some left, just RMA it.

Ok, the oven trick sounds a bit frightening; I don't feel too comfortable with that. :p Think I'll get it replaced or maybe just pick up something better then. Cheers guys.

ok i know what you mean and i just did it on my old 8800 GTX and it works great now!(just dont over cook it)
EDIT but go for RMA 1st!

Back