• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many WATTS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Modz 4 Higher

I know I am going to be getting a Thermaltake PSU, because it's flat black and red which will match my theme. Anyways, I just need to know what size I will need for the following setup.

EVGA P67 FTW Mobo
Intel i7 2600k(will be overclocked a lot)
16GiB Corsair 1600Mhz RAM
1Tb Hitachi HDD
Laing DDC Pump
HK Supreme HF
Swiftech 360 Radiator
Numerous Fans
Blu-Ray drive
DVD drive
Several LCD device on the front panel
Nvidia 8800gts gpu
LED Lights

I think that covers just about all

Yes, with this setup, 550W should be fine.

Just be careful if you plan to upgrade your GPU in the next months/years, you might be tight if you go for a too big one (stay with a TDP under 200W, not a big deal but don't go for a GTX580 for example :D )

For the record, Im running a 4.5Ghz 2600k and a 580 overclocked as well with a 560W PSU (Seasonic X560). I pull no more than 450W from the wall (so actually around 405W). So long as its a QUALITY PSU 550W should be able to run any single GPU out there with a bit of an overclock.

Ok!

Thx for the information earthdog, I was calculating too roughtly:
highly overclocked CPU ~200W
GTX580 load ~250 W
other components ~60W

So I was at 500+ Watts on a 550W PSU, that is why I said it would have been tight.
But if you stay under 450W, it is fine for the 550W.

550w is about right.
Thermaltake PSUs have gotten better quality wise of late, the higher end SMART unit is solid. I don't know about the mid range.

What PSU are you looking at?

Toughpower is good... 850W is overkill unless you plan on going SLI/CrossfireX in the future.

If you dont plan on using 2 cards, I would grab Seasonic X560 or even Corsair HX650.

If you have the budget, buy what you want, we are simply telling you what you can get away with if you want to save money. The 850 will run really cool and quiet since it will never lift a finger with that rig..

For the record, Im running a 4.5Ghz 2600k and a 580 overclocked as well with a 560W PSU (Seasonic X560). I pull no more than 450W from the wall (so actually around 405W). So long as its a QUALITY PSU 550W should be able to run any single GPU out there with a bit of an overclock.

4.6GHz 2600K
Gigabyte 560Ti OC
Some San Ace Fans
335W measured with a Kill-A-Watt at full load. Same if I add the wattage differential between full cpu load, no load, and full gpu load.

Corsair HX-650. Sitting right on the peak efficiency :)

Back