• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcusarilliuS

Hey guys,

I am slowly putting together my new build.
Have my chip and cpu waterblock, waiting on delivery of mobo, ram and case. Have my PSU already from my current system.
Was gonna use my current gpu for the moment but decided to wait and just put in new card when keplar arrives soon.
So am piecing together my WC parts now for my loop.

Going for an external loop with the phobya xtreme nova 1080 rad and rad box, with 8 phobya g-siilent white 180mm fans(4push/4pull).

Will have my cpublock(EK HF nickel plexi en) and 1 maybe 2 gpu's and the phobya rad. Will also be using a phobya balancer res.

So wanted to know the best pump for the job?
Wanted something with plenty of pressure but near silent if possible.

Was looking at this...

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...XSPC-V3-Acrylic-Top-Bundle-Deal-pid-4820.html

Do you guys think this will be ok?

Also trying to decide between 3/8 or 1/2 inch tubing. I heard there is not much flow difference between the 2 so whichever esthetically suits the build better, is this true?

There might be a couple of feet of tubing due to the fact that it is an external setup, so wanted to know will this need a beefier pump to overcome the extra tube length or will the pump I linked to above suffice?

Also will the phobya 1080 rad cause a lot of restriction in the loop?

Thanks,

Mark.

Heres a Link to the radiator so others will not have to search. I think you are going to want to go with a DDC for the pressure. MCP 35X is what I would recommend. That single pump should get through all of it nicely. My 35X goes through CPU 3GPU blocks in parallel and 3 RX360 radiators just fine. And if you dont feel like a single 35X is going to be enough then you can go for Something like This and you get 2 pumps and a top to get double the pressure for the loop. ALSO: with the MCP35X being 99.95 you are basically getting the pumptop for .05c :thup:

As for tubing, I personally like 1/2in ID but yes its about personal preference. If you go through the Sticky for showing off water cooling systems you should be able to see the difference in 1/2in and 3/8 in ID.

Last edited:
Yes that is a DDC and yes they are just rebranded. I suggested the 35X because it is currently the Best DDC on the market.

The problem with 200mm fans is that they have little static pressure because of there size. Static pressure is needed to move the air through the fins of the rad not just airflow alone. I currently have 9 Sythe GT AP-14's on 3 RX360s and with a fancontroller they are not even audible and even full blast there still very quiet. With 120mm fans you can have static pressure and also be silent. Yate loons are the best budget fan IMO and Gentle Typhoons are the best period.

I am not saying you cant use the 200mm fans because you can, but in order for them to be really effective they will need to push 100+ CFM meaning they are going to be loud against a radiator.

EDIT: also this is one of the rare cases of "Cheaper is Better" :D

The coolermaster megaflow fans push 110 cfm @ 19db

Also 8x200mm fans will be cheaper than 18x140mm, and quieter :)

None of the places I was looking sell swiftexh pumps. Just Laing. So I think the one I was looking at is the best DDC Laing pump.

None of the places I was looking sell swiftexh pumps. Just Laing. So I think the one I was looking at is the best DDC Laing pump.

:facepalm: never ever (EVER!) trust manufacturer ratings, ESPECIALLY on fans. This will put you on the right track.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261778

It really amazes me how many people don't check facts on fans...especially now with companies just lying and putting out too-good-to-be-true numbers left and right (see: Scythe Slipstream loool). (don't take that the wrong way, I did it too, a long long time ago :))

LOL, those fans. HAHA. Should of been around over 2 years ago when those fans came out. Folks 'in the know' had a field day. Coolermaster even changed the specs a bit. Your specs are the old ones. So never ever trust the manu ratings...............

So, your fan choice....

On the pumps. All of the best pumps are made by Laing. Danger Den, Koolance, Swiftech, and a few others rename the same pump. More deep dark knowledge awaits as you begin your journey.

Please, no liquids but distilled and a biocide, thats a hint from the Force side.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well there is not much choice when it comes to 200mm fans really.
The 180mm phobya plain black or white ones are supposed to be ok regarding cfm to noise ratio.

Depending on weather I go for the 1080 rad or the 1260 rad I would be looking at either ..

1080 rad=18x120mm fans or 8x180mm fans
1260 rad=18x180mm fans or 8x200mm fans

So I was thinking even if lets say I go for 1260 rad and 8 coolermaster 200mm fans it would be quieter than 18 quieter 180mm fans?

Also regarding rads, is the 1260 supernova overkill to cool 2700k (heavily overclocked) + 1 or 2 gpu's(waiting for keplar cards to come out), or would the 1080 do the job?

1080 or 3x 120.3 rads are overkill IMO for what you plan to do so thats what I would suggest you do and forget the Ideas about 180 or 200mm fans and toss them.

Like I said earlier you either need High Static pressure and low CFM (quiet fans) or High CFM low static pressure (screamers). For the 180's and 200s you need high CFM meaning they will be loud when you want quiet.

Im not trying to be a butt about this, im just trying to save you the money it will cost to get the 200mm fans and that rad find out its not what you wanted and then you buy the 1080... 120mm fans and rads will be your best bet for quiet efficient cooling.

Ok so definately no need to go bigger than 1080 :)

The look of the unit is important to me so that is why I want to go for the phobya set.
Unit has to be external too.

This review here..

He reviews the 1080 with both the 120mm and 180mm fans. He says that the 180mm are MUCH quieter. he also says the cheaper of the 2 different 180mm fans are the best.
Also the difference in cooling between 4x180mm and 9x120mm is only 1 degree c.

Regarding pumps.. you reckon this one...

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Swiftech-MCP35X-PWM-DDC-18W-Pump--MCP35X-pid-13437.html

Is better than this one, and quieter too?

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...XSPC-V3-Acrylic-Top-Bundle-Deal-pid-4820.html

Also is there any need to get a new top for the MCP35x or just use the one that comes with it?

Last edited:
Regarding pumps.. you reckon this one...

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Swiftech-MCP35X-PWM-DDC-18W-Pump--MCP35X-pid-13437.html

Is better than this one, and quieter too?

Also is there any need to get a new top for the MCP35x or just use the one that comes with it?

Yea the 35X will be better. The DDC1+ is the original brand of either the MCP350 or 355 IDK off the top of my head. The MCP350, 355, and 35X are all great pumps with great pressure. The 35X is the best of them all however.

And unless you want the res top for the 35X then the standard top is fine it has G1/4 threads so you can use any size tubing unlike the 350 and 355 that need a After market top to do that.

As for noise, the 35X has a PWM connection that you can connect to the CPU Fan header and your system will control its speed. The 355 Has an RPM sensor and you can possibly set a speed. So it will just depend on what you run it at. They are both fairly quiet pumps, either will be fine.

Last edited:
Cheers mate.

I was thinking of using the xspc clear top so I can put some led's in it. Also was going to use the phobya balancer 450 res on the other side of the box to the pump.

Can you get a cable to extend the fan header connection outside the pc so I can plug the pump in when mounted to the external radbox?

Also I was wondering is a flow meter necessary? Also I want something that I can run 1 power cable from the pc to power my 8 fans and the pump in the box. What would you recommend?

Also regarding the PWN, is there a way to take a extension cable form the fan socket on the mobo out to some connector box and then plug the pump and 8 fans in so when the cpu gets hotter it will increase the speed of the pump and fans all in one go?

Last edited:
Can you get a cable to extend the fan header connection outside the pc so I can plug the pump in when mounted to the external radbox?

www.jab-tech.com and search for "SKU5159"

It'll come up with 25 fan cable extensions in both 3 pin and 4 pin varieties of various lengths and colors.

or go here https://www.jab-tech.com/Case-Fan-Accessories-c-41.html and you'll have 4 pages of various fan accessories to sort through. Perhaps some of those will work for your other questions.

Also regarding the PWN, is there a way to take a extension cable form the fan socket on the mobo out to some connector box and then plug the pump and 8 fans in so when the cpu gets hotter it will increase the speed of the pump and fans all in one go?

Something like that sounds really cool but I bet it would cost $$ if there is even such a thing.

Yea I hope I can find out how to set that up. Hopefully someone here has some experience with doing something like that?
I've heard of folks doing something like that so I know it is possible.

Back