• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC + Surround setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funguygordy

EDIT: Noticed that I missed the HTPC section of the forums so I am removing that portion.

I am putting a home theater together, and need some advice. I am starting from scratch, and want to buy each part individually (to assure the highest quality for its' purpose.) I am putting a HTPC together, and will be using this system to watch bluray movies from disk and hdd on the htpc. I am also going to do some gaming, and the htpc will have a dedicated graphics (xfx 6950 2gb). What is the best way to get hd audio out of the movies and games?

As I understand it, digital out from the motherboard itself will allow hd audio through the receiver, is this correct?

I am looking to spend about $1500 on the speakers and receiver, what brands/models can be recommended under that price? I am looking for 7.1 dolby digital. I will listen to some music through the system, but it is mainly going to be for movies and games (taking up an entire, separate room). The room is about 6X12, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
EDIT: Noticed that I missed the HTPC section of the forums so I am removing that portion.

I am putting a home theater together, and need some advice. I am starting from scratch, and want to buy each part individually (to assure the highest quality for its' purpose.) I am putting a HTPC together, and will be using this system to watch bluray movies from disk and hdd on the htpc. I am also going to do some gaming, and the htpc will have a dedicated graphics (xfx 6950 2gb). What is the best way to get hd audio out of the movies and games?

As I understand it, digital out from the motherboard itself will allow hd audio through the receiver, is this correct?

I am looking to spend about $1500 on the speakers and receiver, what brands/models can be recommended under that price? I am looking for 7.1 dolby digital. I will listen to some music through the system, but it is mainly going to be for movies and games (taking up an entire, separate room). The room is about 6X12, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

As far as configuration of the HTPC itself all you need is the HDMI out from your video card as it will transport all audio to your receiver. As far as receiver speaker selections go, you will need to decide what features you have to have. 7.1 is easy to do for almost every receiver out there and can be had for as little as $250 just for the receiver. The good thing about investing in quality speakers is if you take care of them you can use them forever.

Pioneer makes good budget receivers as well as yamaha, denon, onkyo, and many others. When it comes to speakers you are going to want to go to different places to audition them to see what you like. Keep in mind what you hear in a store will not directly reflect what they will sound like in your room. You also need to decide if you want small bookshelf type speakers and a good sub, or floor standing mains with smaller surround/center.

How big is your room?

It is about 10x12, so not very big. This will change in a couple of years, as we will be building a new house with a room specifically for home theater. I was thinking about going down to a 5.1 surround, because of the size (ill just add to it later). This would also allow for higher quality components. The more I think about it the more I'd like to start small, and get high quality components. The budget really isn't an issue either, it just means waiting a little longer. What I was thinking of, is going with a quality receiver, two front speakers, and a sub. Then I will add the rear/center a month later. If I break it up that way, I could go around $6000 total.

It is about 10x12, so not very big. This will change in a couple of years, as we will be building a new house with a room specifically for home theater. I was thinking about going down to a 5.1 surround, because of the size (ill just add to it later). This would also allow for higher quality components. The more I think about it the more I'd like to start small, and get high quality components. The budget really isn't an issue either, it just means waiting a little longer. What I was thinking of, is going with a quality receiver, two front speakers, and a sub. Then I will add the rear/center a month later. If I break it up that way, I could go around $6000 total.

It's all really up to you then. The most feature rich receiver out there is the Denon 4311ci. It has pretty much every bell and whistle you could ask for. It's $2k though (give or take). It will last you many, many years. The top end of any brand is going to last a while though, it just depends on what features you want. If you go the 5.1 only route, you can get a cheap receiver (I did because I'm waiting to get my high end receiver until later) and get some great speakers. There are too many brands of speakers to list.

Go to http://www.audioholics.com/ for some no-BS reviews.

EDIT: I'd look at some of the internet only brands that let you demo the speakers for 30 days with no fees. Pretty awesome deal if you ask me.

I stumbled upon audioholics late last night, and stayed up even later reading up. That is definitely a great site for anything audio. Thanks for the help, I think I am going to start with the 5.1 focusing on the speakers!

Back