• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Serv-U An Industry Standard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

Hey all I've been working my first real tech job, and I've been exposed to a lot of interesting things thus far. They host several thousand websites and I was noticing they use Serv-U to grant users FTP access. This was curious to me because that's what I use to FTP into my own home computers. I mean the program is effective, but doesn't seem that polished or have many features. Which leads me to my question, is Serv-U actually an industry standard for giving users FTP access or is there a more enterprise level application that's commonly used?

I guess this is a pretty specific question, but I want to give it at least one bump before it gets buried.

Le.. BUMP!

Are you sure you were looking at a recent version? (There are still a lot of copies of v6 out there; the current version is v11.)

http://www.serv-u.com/screenshots/

What features were you looking for that you couldn't find?

What version are you using?

I've used serv-u in the past. It was generally stable and from what I can tell wasn't full of security holes. I guess as long as it's stable, secure, and offers the features it doesn't matter whether it has "enterprise" in the name. :shrug:

[yes, I work in IT, but only small business support]

What version are you using?

I've used serv-u in the past. It was generally stable and from what I can tell wasn't full of security holes. I guess as long as it's stable, secure, and offers the features it doesn't matter whether it has "enterprise" in the name. :shrug:

[yes, I work in IT, but only small business support]

the overhead is small on Serv-U, very small footprint. the protocol does what it needs to do and you dont need anything high tech for a FTP server. however, as long as you keep up to date and do your ftp security you will be fine.

the one feature i loved about Serv-U was the ban after x retries and being able to set the ban timer. seeing your site being hammered by brute force atackers is kind of annoying :rofl:

There is no real industry standard for FTP servers. There's thousands of FTP server apps out there, there is no real consensus.

Professionally, I've always preferred pure-ftpd and vsftpd. Not sure about the windows offerings for FTP servers though. Personally, I just use SFTP via OpenSSH.

Back