• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 5770 OC Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMarmalade

Hey Overclockers, I've had my Sapphire 5770 for a while, 3-4 years I believe, and although I'd like to upgrade, I just can't afford it right now. My performance for games is less than ideal. Whenever I OC my 5770, no matter what I set the memory/clock speed to, I always encounter problems in game. Sometimes it's just these black screens that last a few seconds, and I get those every few minutes. Other times, my display driver crashes. Sometimes, I get a black screen and my monitor has no signal, so I have to restart. I don't understand what this problem is, as it happens even with very low OC's. Can you guys help me out?

1 Sapphire 5770 1GB
AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE
GA-MA790X-DS4
4GB DDR2 Dual Channel

Some just dont have a lot of headroom...

How are temps when loaded without an oveclock? Have you tried turning the fans up when overclocking? Have you tried the newest drivers?

Some just dont have a lot of headroom...

How are temps when loaded without an oveclock? Have you tried turning the fans up when overclocking? Have you tried the newest drivers?

The temps are fairly steady without an overclock, but when I do OC I have to increase the fan speed to get a good temperature, otherwise it gets much to hot. With increase fan speed, I idle around 50 C and during a fairly intensive game it increases to about 60-70 depending on how fast the fan is. Earlier today I was playing Tribes completely fine for over an hour, and when I tried playing AC: Revelations, in about 15 minutes my PC crashed.

And I'm overclocking with CCC. Should I be using afterburner instead?

6 of one half dozen of the other for programs. Did you increase the 20% voltage slider (its OCP protection) in CCC?

Does this happen when the card is set to stock?
Is your CPU overclocked?
50C idle is warm, but load temps arent bad.
What speeds exactly do the problems start happening?
Did you try to switch drivers?

Try MSI afterburner so you get voltage control and see if adding a bit (.05v) helps.

6 of one half dozen of the other for programs. Did you increase the 20% voltage slider (its OCP protection) in CCC?

Does this happen when the card is set to stock?
Is your CPU overclocked?
50C idle is warm, but load temps arent bad.
What speeds exactly do the problems start happening?
Did you try to switch drivers?

Try MSI afterburner so you get voltage control and see if adding a bit (.05v) helps.

I'm using MSI Afterburner, and I increased the voltage by how much you said. I haven't had any problems since, even if I push the clocks a bit higher than they were before. Thanks a lot man!

Back