• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k 5Ghz+ w/ GTX 580 3GB OC requirements?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dankosity

Placing my order. So here is the Hardware I will be cooling.

1) i7 2600k at Max OC (5GHz+)
2)GTX 580 3GB at max OC
- with expansion to Tri SLI upon GK release (drops price of 580)

I have a XSPC EX360, EX120 with EX 4.0 12V Pump, inside a NZXT Phantom.
-using EK-Supreme HF (EN) CPU block.

Purchased ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) and curious if mosfet cooling is neccesary? Would be cooled with a waterblock if so.

Other specs: 8GB 2133, 120GB Partiot SSD, 2x 7200rpm 500GB(32M) in RAID 0, 1000W Rosewill Power Supply. Other stuff.....

Is this going to suffice or do you think I should get some more Rads? I will be going TRI SLI and don't want to bother buying more radiators later, rather have boss temps untill I heat it up. Thanks guys. :comp: "cool image"

it looks good to me some of the more experienced members may disagree. but the biggest thing is i would expect a lower OC on that 2600K while its possible to hit 5+GHZ only because most people have a hard time hitting 5 with 24x7 stability so far im up to 4.8 stable 24x7 on mine but haven't been able to hit stable 5 GHZ just be careful with what your expecting.

More than enuff rad for the CPU. Good luck on the 5.0. It's not going to be a temp problem, more a mobo and CPU luck of the draw.

You for sure will need more raddage going tri SLI with 3 580's. Your best bet is stick with a 120x3 for the CPU, adding a 120x1 will barely change your DT, you'll be in the range of diminishing returns.

When and if you go 3 x 580 You'll need at least 120x5 for that for nice and quiet. Tri-SLI air cooling won't cut it. The 1st and 2nd cards will be smoking hot.

Since the 680 is releasing, why buy older cards unless you have good luck buying used 580's with the same blocks for watercooling.

Do you know the release date. Been looking around the web and had no "solid" finds. I figure if the 600 series is worth is price/performance, than I would go with them, but usually the new cards are more pricey when compared to the price/performance of the last gen. The 580 is still a beast. I guess we will see. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

Is that 5x120 for just the GPUs? Or all in all. I was told 1x120 for every piece of Hardware cooled.

Well... EVGA has the 680 on their web site. Toms hardware has a great review on them.

1x120 for every hardware used is a bare minimum, so sayeth the beginners primer. Provided they are quality 120s, provided your not heavily OC'd, provided you can handle the fan noise. Have you looked at the MoRa3 or other extreme radiators? It's better bang for the buck.

A heavy OC will up the voltage and watts. Watts = Voltage x Current. Clocking faster will of course increase current by charging and discharging FET gate (capacitance) faster. Higher voltages lower FET on resistance and increase shoot thru current when they change states. There are other second order effects.
OK, I'm a lab rat doing validation on new ICs. I used to do power managment chips, but the LT/LTE 4G transceiver design group wanted a ringer to validate it's power use.
For heavy OC I think you should double the guidline to 2x120 per CPU and GPUs.

The 680's have been up on newegg since early early early yesterday morning but they are sold out and there are a bunch of reviews on the net if you google it, price is $500 per card. I'd say if you had a 580 its not that big of a leap if you had a good overclocking card but if your just starting out? go with the 680 but you really need to see the reviews i had mixed feeling about the card after seeing the reviews.

Well, 120x1 for each peice of hardware, that was a while back in the 8800GT days, years ago.

Each of the 580's will put out about 250 watts of heat. So that's 750 watts. If you could read the DT primer in the sticky, you'll see what a decent rad can do. Your shooting for the moon with the CPU, so your CPU won't be a say, 125 watt CPU any more, it'll be higher for sure.

CPU's, especially with you wanting max OC, your going to have to kep the DT under 10C for sure, you probably should shoot for 5C DT. Your GPU's would be fine at 15-20 DT.

Do the math with the Stickies, you'll see how much rad you need.

1000W Rosewill Power Supply... I doubt that's enough for 3 GTX 580s in SLI and I would not trust Rosewill. No OC headroom here.

A higher output high quality supply can cost around $250. It's another reason to consider the GTX 680s over the GTX 580s.

the power draw isn't that different if we are talking Rosewill PSU's if we are talking a 1000W Corsair than you could save some good wattage and would have plenty for either.

Figure it this way: 250w per GPU = 750w, + CPU = 95w,+ pump and fans 20w, + motherboard, + drives, + extras and your over the power budget before OC.

My Antec HCG 950w can put 850w on the 12v rails, but the rest of the system needs more than 100w.

$250 for a new supply of 1300W or more is cheap. Some are upwards to $400.
When I was looking for a PSU, over 1000w was a different price class with a higher failure rate.
At 1500w you may need an electrician to bring in a dedicated drop from the circuit breaker box.

Good info guys. Took a look at the 680's today. If they beat those 7970's than that's impressive enough for me. Are they planning on releasing another "gaming" card this year. The 680's GPU boost is a pretty nice feature. If I can get 680's in SLI than I'm sure that will be enough for my needs. I not trying to be cheap at all. Upgrades that last are what I'm looking for. There's no water block for the 680's considering they're brand new, so I guess the 240 rad will be enough. And the power consumption is lower with the 680's as well. At least that's what Tom's is saying.

Not my first build. Just the most "extreme". And first water cooled setup.

The light amount of airflow you have through the case should be enough for the vrm's, with the minimal load your throwing at them they should get much past 40c which is fine. you'll barely be touching what they are capable of until you start to hit 5.5ghz+.

Private Dancer, are you LC your 580? If so,or not, what are your cpu temps with the 360 rad? AND......is that your max oc you reached on your 2600k?

It all depends on what you want. If you're getting a ridiculous deal for 3 GTX 580s for around 500-700 used I'd do it but one GTX 680 is 195 tdp with Boost. I've read a ton of reviews since they were released on 3/22 and can say this is the cards nvidia wanted and man they look impressive. VERY quiet and LESS heat compared to my GTX 480s. Day n night difference and hoping someday I sell them to save up for a GTX 600 series. If I was you I'd go with a pair of 680s sli because you'd need less rad with those compared to 3 580s. Supposetly one GTX 680 comes close to a GTX 590. Just a thought. Goodluck on your decisions. :salute:

Last edited:
my max temps after 30 min on prime 95 was about 75c i could probably get a little lower on the temps if i either A did push pull or B added high CFM fans vs these Medium speed fans. and i may be able to tweak more than 4.8 but with the water it was easy to hit the 4.8 stable but not 5 i tried for 5 and couldn't get it ran out of time to tweak and went back to 4.8 when i have more time ill try and tune it up to a max stable in between there or maybe up to it. but i dont expect 5 if i can get anything above 4.8 with reasonable core voltage ill be very happy.

my 580 is just air cooled i started small for my first loop

i would wait for the 690s, you will see the 680s go down on price to $350. For me im waiting for next gen because my 5870s still run all my games perfect so whats the point.

Back