• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k 5Ghz+ w/ GTX 580 3GB OC requirements?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I might go Ivy and a 680 and go back to air if it's as quiet as I hope. I don't see a need to overclock unless my hardware is too slow, it isn't now and shouldn't be on my Ivy build.

So hopefully air cooling for me!

Good info guys. Took a look at the 680's today. If they beat those 7970's than that's impressive enough for me. Are they planning on releasing another "gaming" card this year. The 680's GPU boost is a pretty nice feature. If I can get 680's in SLI than I'm sure that will be enough for my needs. I not trying to be cheap at all. Upgrades that last are what I'm looking for. There's no water block for the 680's considering they're brand new, so I guess the 240 rad will be enough. And the power consumption is lower with the 680's as well. At least that's what Tom's is saying.

Not my first build. Just the most "extreme". And first water cooled setup.

680 Kepler block, you ask and though shall receive:

The poster is the from EK, one of the main guys.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-so-does-the-EK-FC680-GTX-series-water-block&

That looks really good i dont know if its just the pics or if its the actual block\dye combo but that looks awesome!

It looks to me to be dye as you can see it in the reservoir and he is using white and clear tubing from the looks of it. Looks pretty cool but I'd stay away from dyes.

I just mean I don't know why that dye looks so cool I'm just saying I didn't know why in that instance it looked so good to me because normally I could care less. From what i've been hearing latly too if you clean out your system enough dyes wont hurt but that's if your dedicated to your cleaning.

It all depends on what you want. If you're getting a ridiculous deal for 3 GTX 580s for around 500-700 used I'd do it but one GTX 680 is 195 tdp with Boost. I've read a ton of reviews since they were released on 3/22 and can say this is the cards nvidia wanted and man they look impressive. VERY quiet and LESS heat compared to my GTX 480s. Day n night difference and hoping someday I sell them to save up for a GTX 600 series. If I was you I'd go with a pair of 680s sli because you'd need less rad with those compared to 3 580s. Supposetly one GTX 680 comes close to a GTX 590. Just a thought. Goodluck on your decisions. :salute:

O hell ya. I finally got a good look at those 680's, and there is NO WAY im going to go 580. The boost is a awesome feature. Revolutionary really. My favorite has to be the vsync adjustments they made. Yes it's morr powerful than the 580, but its really the featurez that sell this one. I know this was the "gaming" version of the 600 series, but are they are planning for a dual gpu one this year correct? 690 I assume?

what does this vsync adjustment do btw? for me im aiming Ivy with more then 6 cores+ TriSli 680s

When vsync is on, if your framerate drops below 60fps due to heavy performance load, your framrate drops to 30. The nature of vsync used framerates in multiples of 60. (15 30 60). When it drops below 60, you get slashed to 30 frames which causes a stuttering effect. Now, when you drop below 60, it turns vsync of, so you can still have 50+ fps without stuttering. And then it turns its self back on when you reach 60 again. Impressive technology to say the least.

The dye does look really cool and is fine if you do a very very regular clean out. The reason he is using dyed coolant is to show consumers exactly how well and where the water flows in the block.

^ you have to flush out your pc almost every month, i been doing this for sometime now and its fine. just dont keep it in the loop for to long, it does stain you're res. if only they had an option for a glass res, that would fix the problem

Back