• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sapphire 6950 flash fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goosfrab

Registered
hello, recently i tried to flash my sapphire 6950 2gb edition to a 6970 but failed, had the bios standing in position 2 flashed it wrong, then i readed that i needed to stand in position 1, then tried it again, doesnt work. Now my card boots up but the motherboards light of VGA is red and my pc wont start up, tried several times to flash it back, without luck. Flashed it with the windows 98 boot files and atiflash on a flash drive. Does somebody now how to fix this or is the card totaly dead? plz help

The easiest way to fix a card with both bioses flashed bad is to use it as a secondary card in a system so you dont have to blind flash. Either another pci-e or just a plain old pci vid card should work. But no, the card shouldnt be dead.

The easiest way to fix a card with both bioses flashed bad is to use it as a secondary card in a system so you dont have to blind flash. Either another pci-e or just a plain old pci vid card should work. But no, the card shouldnt be dead.

yea i got a secondary card, geforce 6600 gt but i cant find a right bios, tried several bioses, sometimes it works and my comp said he installed the 6950 on startup but when i restart, comp doesnt startup anymore so that bios was wrong i think, i realy need this fixed, i am addicted to battlefield 3 xd

Your card is not dead.

You need to find a functional gpu first: borrow one, or buy a very cheap entry one like a 5450 (always good to have a spare GPU;)).

You put the functional one in the first PCI-e port with the display plugged in, and the 6950 in the second port.

Download your card default bios on techpowerup:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...cturer=&model=HD+6950&interface=&memSize=2048
(don't know which model, you'll find out...).

Boot on dos, and use the following command:
atiflash -p 1 biosname.rom

The 1 is important, as it is your second PCI-e port.

If ATI refuses to flash use the following:
atiflash -p -f 1 biosname.rom

Your card is not dead.

You need to find a functional gpu first: borrow one, or buy a very cheap entry one like a 5450 (always good to have a spare GPU;)).

You put the functional one in the first PCI-e port with the display plugged in, and the 6950 in the second port.

Download your card default bios on techpowerup:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...cturer=&model=HD+6950&interface=&memSize=2048
(don't know which model, you'll find out...).

Boot on dos, and use the following command:
atiflash -p 1 biosname.rom

The 1 is important, as it is your second PCI-e port.

If ATI refuses to flash use the following:
atiflash -p -f 1 biosname.rom

thanks for that but my second gpu is in slot "0" and the files on techpowerup are .bin files and not .rom

thanks for that but my second gpu is in slot "0" and the files on techpowerup are .bin files and not .rom

".bin" or ".rom" makes no difference. Use the bios file extension when flashing, or rename to ".rom".

".bin" or ".rom" makes no difference. Use the bios file extension when flashing, or rename to ".rom".

here i am, back with the result, now when i flash it back with 1 bios from techpowerup, it said that flashed succesfully, comp startsup but in the blue screen when i need to click a user to logon the comp, the screen turns black? and when i restart the comp starts system startup repair and when this is done the comp starts up and freezes at the windows startup logo, when i take 6950 out and i logon to windows it asks me to re-enter activation for windows?

Did you use your model proper bios?

If would try a system restore (if activated) before anything else.

No, no!

When your comp boots, goes to system repair and choose "system restore".

You should have a restore point within the last few days.
Pick the last one.
It should take 5 minutes.

No, no!

When your comp boots, goes to system repair and choose "system restore".

You should have a restore point within the last few days.
Pick the last one.
It should take 5 minutes.

did that already, got no restore point at all :s

All right...

Try start it in safe mode, with the 6950 in.

Uninstall the video driver, and restart.

Back