• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK and Ryzen overclocking fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nyichiban

Registered
Specs:

Motherboard - MSI MEG X570 ACE (BIOS 7C35v16)

CPU - R9 3900X (replacing with R9 3950X)

Memory - G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232378?Item=N82E16820232378 x 2

SSD - Corsair MP600 1TB

Video Card - Aorus Xtreme 1080 ti

So my issue is tried the ryzen calculator and set manual timings for 3600 speed and run a few mem test and works fine even after hours of gaming sessions. Shut down the computer and turn it back on and I get the overclock fail error. Tried with the memory try it in the motherboard and on all the 3600 speeds starting from 16-16-16 all the way to 18-18-18 and fails. I manually have set DRAM voltage from 1.35 to 1.4v and every time I decide to shut down my computer I would always have to go to BIOS and put it back to XMP then go back into BIOS after windows boots to do a RAM tweak. So at this point I'm at my wits end on how to make the memory OC stick after shutdown. The memory is on the QVL for the motherboard and yes I could keep it at 3200 C14 but would like to run it at 3600 to get that on par with the infinity fabric clock for optimal speed boost of the CPU. Any ideas? Motherboard sucks maybe?

Have you done any benchmarking with the memory at 3200 CL 14 vs. 3600 CL 16? I have a hunch you would not see much difference, infinity fabric or no. Yes, the memory may be on the QVL list but that would not necessarily apply when it is overclocked beyond it's XMP rating.

Have you done any benchmarking with the memory at 3200 CL 14 vs. 3600 CL 16? I have a hunch you would not see much difference, infinity fabric or no. Yes, the memory may be on the QVL list but that would not necessarily apply when it is overclocked beyond it's XMP rating.

No benching was done other than running memtest64 after setting timings in BIOS. I know QVL doesn't mean I can overclock but looking at woomack's post on the test he ran I definitely wanted to get better speeds just to see how well it would perform and see if I can get closer to the advertised boost speeds of the 3900X. Basically get more bang for my money you know.

I guess I could try the latest v17, but the update says that it:

Description
- Improved system boot up time.
- Improved PCI-E device compatibility.

Nothing about memory which was in v14. I'll give it a try and see.

Ok so I got it working after putting the voltage at 1.4V for the RAM. Now it doesn't give me the error of overclock fail when I shutdown and restart my computer. Just feel l ike it's a bit more than needed but at least it's stable now.

Stock voltage on that kit is 1.35 so 1.4 should be quite safe.

I have the same board and the same ram kit. lets do it together.

What are your results for the moment?

Thats are my:

Inked3600 fast bench dram_LI.jpg

Attachments

• 3600 fast bench.png
    3600 fast bench.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Back