• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to i5 2500k or GTX 680?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawliethefair

Hai :D
So, short story short, I have crossfired 6870s and an FX 6100 @ 4.2 ghz, getting bad scaling in games, wondering if it is worth it to get an i5 2500k and overclock as far as I can. If I do get it, the mobo is the Gigabyte UD3H-B3. Will cost me about $370 for the upgrade.
So, is it worth it?

OTHER OPTION:
Throw out 6870s, buy a GTX 680, keep FX 6100

If you have any other ideas, please share them :D

But will the FX 6100 be a horrible bottleneck with the 680? I can't find any one else on youtube or on forums with a FX and a 680, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Yep, it'll definitely bottleneck the card, but I don't think it'll be too terrible.
BUT it would be wiser to wait for IB, to see if SB prices drop or something, or if indeed IB is good or what.
My 2 cents...

As much as a like the 2500K, if you do a lot of gaming, you'll get more benefit by upgrading to a 680. Instead of throwing out the 6870, you can easily sell it. Sell it soon before everyone else do the same thing and Nvidia releases more of their mainstream 6xx series card.

sell the card ya got, Get the 680, then in 3-4 months upgrade to Ivy bridge. I am amusing your board you have now is a AM3+, it should not bottle next the 680 at all I don't think. If it is a AM3 and not AM3+ then yea it may bottle neck a little. But with a good OC like you have, it would not effect you.

Sell the 6870's, get the GTX680, save up and in 3 months upgrade to Sandy bridge or ivy bridge, depending on how good the ivy bridge prices and performance is.

Back