• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I just get a bad i5-8600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow I have not heard of that from anyone else. On my Gigabyte motherboard the default fan speed of the CPU at 64c is 1800 RPM and 75c 1950 MAX RPM.
When you manually set the CPU fan speed calibration does it work fine? The case temperatures like you say are slow to change.
Sounds like it might be problem with the PWM of your fan on the CPU. Or the controller is a problem, can you switch the CPU fan to Voltage control or try PWM? see if that will work.
Do you have the latest BIOS update?

Yeah, I have the latest bios as far as I know, but I'll check again. I can change the fan to voltage control, I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks :)

Yeah, I have the latest bios as far as I know, but I'll check again. I can change the fan to voltage control, I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks :)

Are there 3 options for the CPU fan control? Is the CPU fan 4 pin or 3 pin?

Last edited:
My approach is backwards from most. I find the max voltage I'm comfortable with and start bumping up speed until it won't go faster under my voltage ceiling. If it's too hot, I lower voltage and get my best speed under the new ceiling. Temps are a hard ceiling, as is voltage for me. I don't want to kill my chip or appreciably shorten its life. Finding an OC that's safe 24/7, then turning all the C states and EIST back on leaves me with a set and forget OC.

Actually, I've kind of gravitated to that approach as well. CPUs have gotten so fast I don't feel a need to push the volt envelope just to achieve 1 o 2 more increments of overclock but shorten the life of the CPU. Neither do I want to spend a whole bunch of time tweaking just to get a little more like I used to.

Also try setting PWM and see if that helps, there might be a BIOS or AUTO controller malfunction. Post back how it is going.

I tried to update the BIOS through the gigabyte app center, but it just installed the same version again lol. Anyway, I selected voltage control for all fans and set a custom curve for my case fans, which were driving me nuts. I'm not sure if it's working 100% correctly now, but I did some light gaming testing and I'm happy with both sound levels and temperatures. I'll test some more tonight, but it seems I'll just leave it as it is right now. Thanks for the follow up, wingman :D

Glad it is working better, Post back after you do more testing with how the CPU and case fans are operating. For BIOS up date you can use a formated flash drive then update in BIOS.

Glad it is working better, Post back after you do more testing with how the CPU and case fans are operating. For BIOS up date you can use a formated flash drive then update in BIOS.

I updated the BIOS and the cpu fan still doesn't reach max RPM at 65c, but at around 80c. I didn't know what to try anymore, so I just adapted to the way it works and set the curve to reach max RPM at a lower temp.
However, the CPU temps were way too close to 90c after 20 minutes of BF1, and not even the CPU fan spinning at full RPM could keep them much lower. It kept at around 82c and peaked at 87c, so I just decided to lower the frequency to 4.6ghz, which allowed me to lower the voltage to 1.30v with LLC on standard (lowering the voltage even more and setting LLC on high or turbo actually gives me very high temps, very close to 100c at times). Temps peak at 82c now, but stay at 72-75c most of the time during heavy gaming.
I'm comfortable with temps, sound levels and performance at this point, so I guess this is my sweetspot. Just a last question: is there any budget AiO worth getting to lower temps a few c more? Or would I have to spend $100+ for the upgrade to be worth it?

I updated the BIOS and the cpu fan still doesn't reach max RPM at 65c, but at around 80c. I didn't know what to try anymore, so I just adapted to the way it works and set the curve to reach max RPM at a lower temp.
However, the CPU temps were way too close to 90c after 20 minutes of BF1, and not even the CPU fan spinning at full RPM could keep them much lower. It kept at around 82c and peaked at 87c, so I just decided to lower the frequency to 4.6ghz, which allowed me to lower the voltage to 1.30v with LLC on standard (lowering the voltage even more and setting LLC on high or turbo actually gives me very high temps, very close to 100c at times). Temps peak at 82c now, but stay at 72-75c most of the time during heavy gaming.
I'm comfortable with temps, sound levels and performance at this point, so I guess this is my sweetspot. Just a last question: is there any budget AiO worth getting to lower temps a few c more? Or would I have to spend $100+ for the upgrade to be worth it?

Thanks for keeping me updated. From what you have said I feel a lot more comfortable buying Gigabyte now, I don't mind the full fan speed at 80c at default settings. You would have to spend the $100+ for the AiO to be worth it from what you have.

@Runscream

This is still typical temp under full load. Max for this CPU is 100°C so ~82°C is pretty normal under full load. Delidding won't help in anything if CPU isn't overheating and it's clearly not overheating.
Most AIO will give you quite good results. Something with 240/280 radiator seems optimal. I have Corsair H80i just because of small case so to get the same results, fans have to spin faster but I see mentioned ~80°C max at about ~1.37V ( voltage is between ~1.34-1.41V, seems like early beta BIOS for my board so still have to work on that ). CPU runs at 5GHz on all cores at this voltage.

@wingman

You are always buying Gigabyte regardless if other users complain or are happy. This is also the only brand you are recommending if anyone asks for any motherboard recommendation either you tested the board or not.

@Runscream

This is still typical temp under full load. Max for this CPU is 100°C so ~82°C is pretty normal under full load. Delidding won't help in anything if CPU isn't overheating and it's clearly not overheating.
Most AIO will give you quite good results. Something with 240/280 radiator seems optimal. I have Corsair H80i just because of small case so to get the same results, fans have to spin faster but I see mentioned ~80°C max at about ~1.37V ( voltage is between ~1.34-1.41V, seems like early beta BIOS for my board so still have to work on that ). CPU runs at 5GHz on all cores at this voltage.

@wingman

You are always buying Gigabyte regardless if other users complain or are happy. This is also the only brand you are recommending if anyone asks for any motherboard recommendation either you tested the board or not.

I like Gigabyte BIOS better than the rest. He was having trouble I thought, until I realized after his last post Gigabyte just increased the fan full speed temperature set point and I like a quieter fan with default settings so it is a plus for me, also I'm always experimenting with My BIOS so I like default settings when making changes and then going back, also flashing BIOS a lot. I have not run across any complaints with Gigabyte that are justified with reasonable reasoning. The only thing I have found is individual problems sometimes and I'm just making sure I don't have any problems possibly purchasing a Gigabyte Z370 with the same excellence as all my other Budget Gigabyte motherboard. Overclocking my Gigabyte motherboards has never let me down I have no reason to switch to other motherboards that I spend my free time helping with in the forums.

@Runscream
In the Gigabyte forums I found a few folks and the echo of the internet that when entering sleep mode and waking up the fans run full speed and don't slow down on Z370 ultra durable motherboards. Have you had this problem?

Last edited:
Back