• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speed Fan Controller or CPU control?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm making a new rig.

Some people use fan speed controllers, or used to, but I know some HSFs, if they have 4 pin connectors (not 3 pin) or rather if the mobo has the 4 pin connector, the mobo can control the fan through the PWM signal.

Not having used either technology, what's the best way to do it? And how do I make sure the HSF is capable of being controlled by mobo? Thanks in advance

I would use on-mobo headers but I did not realize there were soo many... I had already bought the NZXT Fan Controller for headers.

I keep the case fans connected to that. The H60 pump + fan on mobo as well as RAM fans on the motherboard too.

(Pretty much the bay controller is for looks, but can make your insides seem sloppy too).

Dont use the programs to control the speed......i used once and totally screwed my hsf....it stopped working when ever it goes to full speed...and then i had to change it

When I'm trying to do some stress testing or when i'm just having fun pushing my OC, I use Speed Fan to control all the fans that are connected to my mobo, but other than that, when running my normal OC I let it run on auto setting for my CPU through my mobo, might increase the threshold a bit though depending on the ambient temp on my house.

I do however, like to have full control of my case fans that I CAN control (my mobo only has a limited ammount of pins (not all my fan's can reach the available pins as well).

For some odd reason, SpeedFan also controls my GPU fan speed. Even though I like to use afterburner to control it.

Back