• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need good MB for Ocing and reliability!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

I am putting a new system together.. First with a 1.4 AMD T-bird 266FSB chip (I won at a show)! I want this board to support a 2000+XP chip since in 6-10 months I plan on swaping the 1.4 out and buying the 2000+ once its a lot cheaper!
My concern is that I want to o/c alot but not to the EXTREME like some of you :D
But then again maybe one day I will get the itch to do so too... :)
So, for good reliability, and ocing ability, which MB should I get?

I have looked at the Asus A7m266 since I currently have an Asus but not sure how the others stack up to ocing and dependability.

oh yea, I am thinking that the best chip would be the AMD 760 vs the Via and others... Is this true? What about the new Nvidia 420 too???

Last edited:
There are a few members with the Asus A7V266-E. It seems to be one of the best boards for performance and ocing. I have a Soyo Dragon + and the only drawback I think with the board is you can't raise the memory voltage.

I would make sure you get a kt266a chipset or higher. They have the kt333 out but are more expensive and doesnt show much improvement over the kt266a.

Abit and Epox also have good boards if you want to look into them.

And Welcome to the Forums.

Thanks Bull....
I would make sure you get a kt266a chipset or higher. They have the kt333 out but are more expensive and doesnt show much improvement over the kt266a.
Question... why would you recommend this chip compared to the AMD? I was reading articles from Maximum PC and others that all seem to say the AMD with an AMD CPU would be the best! I have not seen the kt333 yet!!! Also, what about the nvidia 420? It is supposed to be good too?
Thanks, Im gonna be here for a while, I have known about this site for a year but never came to the forums... until now:D

Amd has stopped making chipsets (it is a good chipset but outdated). The Via chipset is the most current (kt266a) make sure its the A version. Performance wise it beats the AMD chipset and Amd approves it.

I have no experience with the nvidia. I've heard there are issues with the ram and which slots you can put it in. It's fairly new and I am going to wait till all the bugs are out of it before i think of recommending it or buying it.

Shuttle AK35GTR
Shuttle AK31
Epox 8KHA+

All great motherboards with the Via KT266A chipset. The AK35 and EPoX have FSB's up to 200, and AK31 have it up to 166 unforunately. The AK35 has voltage up to 2.3v in the bios (Or something around there), so a voltage mod is no necessary.

Yodums

Back