• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install opsys on new SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

I've heard and read different things about switching my operating system to a SSD from the current spinning disc HD.

I've read about software that transfers all etc. as a way to move the operating system from the existing spinning disc to the SSD. But why? And I suppose there's and answer..Its just that I don't understand.. or know it.

Can't i connect my new SSD / start computer and then specify drive letter/ next insert Win 7 64 upgrade install disc and turn off machine/ next restart machine and follow install instructions that i get from the disc including Custom install regarding choice of disc and I choose the new SSD drive letter / next formatting that disc and click Next. And then I'll name computer and setup intial user account.

That won't work? Or its not the best method?

Please set me straight.

Tom

BTW I meant to mention I "definitely" want to lose all else on the existing spinning C drive because my system has become kinda unstable and I'm hoping this might help.

Tom

When I got my SSD I simply formatted the primary Harddrive I was using, (I was using 4), and then I poped in the win 7 disc and installed it to my ssd.

I've read about software that transfers all etc. as a way to move the operating system from the existing spinning disc to the SSD. But why? And I suppose there's and answer..Its just that I don't understand.. or know it.
Some people use cloning software because its handy. If the OS is already set up, customized, and running smooth, there's not really a need to reinstall from scratch. In your case, a fresh install from the CD would probably be a better option, possibly fixing your instability in the process.

JigPu

Last night, I installed a Corsair SSD 90GB.

Thoughts / Notes:

Drive would not take any OS at stock speeds.
Tried too install Ubuntu 11.10 first, then Win 7 64 bit.
No joy with either.

Underclocked the system to 8x 200 and installed Windows 7.
Install took 30 minutes. (quite fast actually)

Once installed, did updates and re-clocked system.
Running smooth and fine.
Currently stress testing.

:attn:
WII

Back