• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked athlon x3 450, normal core temp readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quicksilvr530

Hey everyone,
I recently unlocked the 4th core on my AMD athlon II x3 450. After unlocking it, i booted in and everything seems to be working fine. I'm going to run a stress test on it later, but my question is with coretemp. After running the program, it seems that the unlocking of the core only increased the heat output by a little bit. I can still see the individual cores and their temperatures. After doing some research, i found out that this might be inaccurate. am i just being paranoid, or should i find another way of checking the temperatures.

Thanks!

Coretemp reads the cpu core temps just as HWMonitor is capable of doing...the 'however' about the whole thing is that when unlocked there is nO core temp available to Core Temp for a reading so it is just playing with you. I have seen such as you see with a temp where the really is none available and the temp just gradually disappears after a while since there really is no outputted temp reading from cpu after unlock.

the weird thing is, when i ran prime95 for about 20 minutes, the temperature climbed to ~50 C and stabilized there, and when i turned it off it dropped back to idling, around 24 C...
it's as if it's still reading, even with the core unlocked

Your best bet is to run Prime95 for 20 minutes as a 3 core CPU and note the differential between CPU (socket) temp and core temps. That differential will remain constant whether you run it as a 3 core or a 4 core. Then when you switch back to a 4 core just do the math to calculate the core temp. That way you can gauge whether or not the core temp readings you have been getting when the core is unlocked is reliable.

+1...

Your best bet is to run Prime95 for 20 minutes as a 3 core CPU and note the differential between CPU (socket) temp and core temps. That differential will remain constant whether you run it as a 3 core or a 4 core. Then when you switch back to a 4 core just do the math to calculate the core temp. That way you can gauge whether or not the core temp readings you have been getting when the core is unlocked is reliable.

But he will also have to get away from CoreTemp since it does not read CPU TEMP from the socket for that cross-referencing of the cpu temp to core temp and locked to unlocked.

But he will also have to get away from CoreTemp since it does not read CPU TEMP from the socket for that cross-referencing of the cpu temp to core temp and locked to unlocked.

Yes, I forgot about that. Quicksilver530, move to HWMonitor so you can see both core temps and socket temps as well as a multitude of other temps and voltages.

Thank you all, but i think this was a bit premature, since after i got home the computer wouldn't post. After restarting about 6 times, i got to the bios screen...so i guess the core wasn't that stable after all :/

Back