• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking + unlocking Athlon 445 issues, high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter2525

Registered
Hello,

I am new to overclocking and i am having some problems when trying to overclock my athlon 445 x3 (but also after unlocking 4th core).

1.When i set my CPU freq to 215Mhz i get this message when system is booting: warning !! now system is in safe mode please re-setting cpu frequency in cmos setup. This message dissapeared after i set + 0,025V on CPU voltage, but also +0,05V on DRAM voltage otherwise i would get the same error message, also set other multipliers like HT and NB to lower/stock speeds. Only getting this message after restarting the PC, if i shut down the PC and then power on there is no problem with booting. Is it possible to overclock with this MB gigabyte m68mt-d3?

2.Temperatures with stock 3 cores prime95 large FFT: all 3 cores 37°C

After unlocking the 4th core (not overclocked just stock settings) temperatures were pretty high
idle temps:
all 4 cores 57°C

TMPIN0 28°C
TMPIN1 31°C
TMPIN2 28°C

prime95 large FFT for about 2h15min (i know its not long enough to make sure if its stable) no errors:
all 4 cores 78°C

TMPIN0 39°C
TMPIN1 56°C
TMPIN2 49°C

Are those CPU temperatures accurate? I restarted PC when running prime95, right before restart all cores were 78°C, then i went into BIOS as fast as i could (10 secs) and system temp was 40°C and CPU 38°C. Do you think its possible to drop from 78°C to 38°C in ~10 seconds or are those temperatures in HWmonitor not correct? I am using shadow rock lp cooler because of small case.

Thanks

A bi-product of unlocking disabled cores is the temp sensor becomes incorrect. This is a known fact. Best I can tell you to estimate temp is to add 10c to your temp when you're not unlocked.

Your boot issue is instability. Try more vcore.
Remember, unlocking cores is not a given. Most of the time they were disabled for a reason.

I'll also add, when raising the FSB you are also increasing the Dram speed so you'll want to drop the Dram Multiplier until you can find a stable Cpu Oc. Then you can increase the Dram speed again.

Is it ok to increase both NB voltage and vcore? I get the error even after increasing voltage, but once i increased cpu freq everything was ok no message after saving BIOS, but after restart message appeared again. I dont understand what do i have to do.

Is it ok to increase both NB voltage and vcore? I get the error even after increasing voltage, but once i increased cpu freq everything was ok no message after saving BIOS, but after restart message appeared again. I dont understand what do i have to do.

Best bet is to read a little about what you're doing, read through this thread.

Thank you for the guide but for me its impossible to get more than 215/216 FSB, i dont know

There are multiple factors to why you may not be. A picture is worth a thousand words. Post up pics of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. It will give us a better picture of what you have going. To be honest, that motherboard isn't exactly a great motherboard to be Ocing on.

These are my default settings

CPUZ.jpg

And these are my best results

CPU frequency 217
Memory clock x5,33
HT speed 4x
CPU clock ratio x15.5
CPU NB frequency x9
CPU NB VID Control auto
CPU Voltage Control +0,025
DDR3 Voltage Control auto

Ok when you are raising the Fsb are you dropping the multiplier on the Ht Link, Nb Frequency and Dram?

yes i dropped every multiplier by one so they are below stock settings except of cpu x15,5 is the highest and i get to 217 doing this but couldnt get past 217 even after i dropped them more then i get the cpu freq message

I would not keep the NB frequency less than stock but I would not let it get too high either. Keeping it below stock may itself create instability and will hurt performance. You may need to give it a little voltage bump, however to get an overclock on the NB.

Peter, can you show us the three CPU-z tabs after raising your FSB to 217?

Just so you know, 1.55v is 'safe' for 24/7 if you can keep it cool.
You should be able to add more bus speed then.

What are the stock frequencies for HT and NB?

Looks like you could tighten your RAM timings. That would improve performance some.

i tried 222 fsb, booted into windows then restarted PC and got only black screen fans were running so i power it off and power back on and again the error, i went into bios changed back to 217 also other multipliers back to settings when it ran ok but also got the message i had to increase voltage to +0,1 then i booted into windows

stock frequencies for HT 5x , NB 10x

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but quite often those "extra" cores were locked for a reason, stability being one of them

I am overclocking on 3 cores never overclocked on 4 cores only unlocked it and it looked like it was stable, i think iam done with this overclocking, i am going to test 4 cores again and will leave it at stock if stable. Maybe new motherboard but i simply dont wanna buy new one if pc is running ok but what do you think of gigabyte 970a-ud3p with my athlon cpu and later upgrading to fx 8350?

The Giga board appears to have the power but personally never been a fan of them with the FX series CPUs. I'd keep my eyes open for a used Sabertooth or Crosshair personally and if not one of those I think you can still get the ASUS 970 pro Aura which I have used as well and know it can take the FX.

Back