• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Stability and OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roflpancake

I'm new to this site and new to unlocking CPU's and OCing them.

I had an AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana that I unlocked to a AMD Phenom II X4 B55.

My idle temps were aprox. 50c after I unlocked the CPU, I did not check idle temps before this. I am currently in the process of running Prime95 to check for stability. It's been running just over an hour and my CPU temps shot up to about 70c (Max 72 Low 69). I've rebooted my computer a couple of times before to make sure I don't get any boot issues after unlocking the 4th core.

So my questions: Is the temp too high to leave the 4th core unlocked without a water cooling system? If I do get a watercooling system will I be able to overclock my CPU while it's unlocked without frying everything? Also, is it bad that this new unlocked "Phenom B55" requires 126W of power and my motherboard only supports 125W CPU (lol)? It was originally a 95W CPU before I unlocked it, I believe.

CPU should be about 62c max on that unlocked Deneb type cpu.

You cannot read the core temps WHEN you unlock a core. Core temp reading is disconnected. So 70c socket temp is higher than that cpu type is normally recommended to see and since unlocked and not able to ascertain the core/package temp, you can only use the cpu temp which is at the limit already.
RGone...

Last edited:
Once you unlock the Rana to a B55 you would expect it to draw at least the same amount of power that a Phenom II X4 would draw, which is what you are seeing.

You do not need to go water in order to cool it down. Just get a good aftermarket air cooler, say a Coolermaster hyper 212 evo. Make sure your case is wide enough to accommodate the height, however. If case is less than 7.5" wide it won't fit.

Back