• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 x2 4000+ Overclocking problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiroh1ge

Hello! I'm new in this forum and overclocking overall so I think I F-ed up my CPU.
So I tried overclocking it by changing the CPU to different settings from like 200 and up till 260 on intervals, the ram to 400 and voltage from 1,150 and up to 1,4. So I managed to get some stability at 2,4 GHz, temps around 60 (they were like that before the clocking) but then I started to get glitches and lags at everything even when I'm on desktop it's like the whole pc is freezing for milisecs and when playing music it's like getting these glitch noises all the time. Then I reset everything to the default settings and I still get those glitches. Did I F*ck up my CPU for good or can it be fixed somehow?

No need for the disguised profanity. We try to keep it clean around here for a family environment and for people of all ages.

You say you reset everything to default settings. Did you do that with a CMOS reset? If not, I would try that. Before you move the jumper, unplug the PSU from the wall and don't plug it back in until you move the jumper back to default position. A lot of people corrupt their bios by resetting the CMOS with power still to the mobo.

Tell us more about your system. We know nothing about the motherboard or the ram.

And you say you set the ram to 400. What is the frequency rating of the ram to begin with? Is it DDR2 533? DDR2 666? DDR2 800?

You say you changed voltage from 1.15 to 1.4. Which voltage are you talking about? It is not clear. Is this the CPU voltage? That's a big jump. Voltage changes should be done in small increments with core temps monitored after each change. Did you do any core temp monitoring? What CPU cooler are you using?

Did you monitor your processor core temps after making these changes?

Safe overclocking is done in small increments and systematically, monitoring temps and voltages at each step along the way.

Sorry about the bad words I just didn't know how to put it otherway and it's really frustrating me :p
So here is the information about the other stuff, hope it helps enough: http://imageshack.us/f/339/everesteh.jpg/
And this is how my settings in BIOS look like: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/img0153hk.jpg/

I reset the settings to default only from the bios option, I'm not sure I know how to reset CMOS by replugging the battery I saw it in the other article you sent me so I will try this out later.
I guess the default frequency of my RAM is set to 800, it doesn't say if it is in the BIOS but that's what I've been told.
My default Vcore (CPU voltage) is set to 1,3. I started overclocking from 1,150 then I started increasing it by bit until I got to 1,4 then when I checked my temperatures they were about 70-75 lol and so I set it to 1,3 again and temps went back to normal.
Here's another thing I've noticed in CPU-Z:
While I get these glitches, the CPU speed goes from 10,5x to 5x for a split second then goes back to normal and it happens constantly. This is how it looks like:
http://imageshack.us/f/140/cpuzs.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/28/cpuz2c.jpg/
PS: The pics with the 210MHz overclock is an old one but it is the same with the default settings aswell.

Last edited:
The throttling of your'e cpu is caused by coolnquiet/c1e, it is a power saving function that drops the cpu multiplier and volts going to the cpu to save power, you can disable this in your'e bios, you may have to hunt around for it as it may be tucked away in one of the sub menu's, if that fails to cure your'e stuttering desktop etc, i would also suggest clearing your'e cmos with the jumper on your'e motherboard, just look for the jumper with clrcmos wrote on it and there should be a little jumper on top of it, just move the jumper to the other pins and then move back, as stated by trents do this with the power off

The CMOS jumper is usually very near the flat round battery. It has three pins with jumper bridgin two of them, usually pins 1&2 by default. First remove power from the system by either switching off the PSU or unplugging it from the wall. Then move the jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3. Leave the jumper in the "clear" position for 15 seconds or so. Then put the jumper back into the original position. Power back up.

I understand your frustration (been there, done that) but I might suggest alternative expressions that use other "f" words like: "! I think I may have fried my computer" or "Help. I think I may have broken my computer. Can you help me fix it?".

Eyeppers. I think my leaking heatsink flooded my computer, causing it to fry and I don't think it can be fixed at all and I felt so bad I fell out flat on my back.

:chair:

Aww thanks a lot about the battery reset advice it fixed the problem and btw I don't think I have a CMOS thingy near the battery I checked all over but this is all there is: http://imageshack.us/f/717/img0158po.jpg/ - the 2 yellow plates on the right are SATA1 and SATA2 I think. I'm just sharing this for information xD

I don't want to get insolent but can you give me an optimal settings for an overclock? I want to get to like 2,3 - 2,6 GHz. I'm not sure I want to be that greedy but aren't we all lol :p.
Thanks again for taking your time to help a newbie!

"Shiroh1ge" we are about as far as we can go without some needed information about your configuration. Easiest to stay up to date with a signature that follows each of your posts for those who might help to see what you have and they are dealing with.

Sigs are pretty easy. Signatures follow you in every post in the forum so your system information follows you and people know what is in the box.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

Thanks for the information and sorry for the incompetence! xD
EDIT: The signature doesn't seem to update though :/ guess I gotta have to wait a bit. Till then here's what I did with it:
Motherboard > Jetway M52LESVP
BIOS > Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
CPU & Cooler > DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2116 MHz (10.5 x 202) 4000+
MEMORY > DIMM1: Kingston 9905316-005.A04LF 1GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
DIMM2: Power Quotient (2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
POWER SUPPLY > DELUX 400W
VIDEO CARD > NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512 MB)
HDD > ST3120022A ATA Device (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
BURNERS > LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S ATA Device
SOUND DEVICE > Realtek HD ALC883
O/S > Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Last edited:
In General...

1. There seems to be NO way to download a copy of the manual for your motherboard from Jetway's website.

2. No manual means there are things that we cannot see about some settings in the bios of your motherboard and that is not an easy thing to work around.

3. I put some text on the one page you showed of your bios. Try the changes. Run Prime 95 Blend for at least 20 mins to see if there is a failure...that is IF the board will boot up at all. It is possible the ram cannot do ~DDR682 when FSB is 205.

4. That board is rather old and few users that I ever saw in all my forum travels ever used one. So without a manual or good pictures of the bios settings and options within some of the settings, I fear this is about as far as one can help from a distance and not see the bios in person.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110061&stc=1&d=1337311132

Attachments

• M52LESVP-PB.jpg
    M52LESVP-PB.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4,753
It's hard to tell because the clarity of the pic isn't good but this looks like it could be your cmos jumper:

Attachments

• CMOS.JPG
    CMOS.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,095
It doesn't work.. :( the glitches start all over no matter what I change and by how little I change the CPU still starts to jump from 2000+ MHz to 1000 and the multiplier from 10.5 to 5x... and now I can't even put it back to normal even with removing the battery -.- I shouldn't have tried overclocking at all I guess.. is there anything else I can do to put it to normal again? I even reinstalled my Windows..
Sorry for being a burden
EDIT: I read that disabling C1E and CnQ could help with this but I can't seem to find them anywhere in BIOS.. do I even have them or can I disable them through Windows?

Last edited:
I was a little concerned...

...concerned that no manual available for that Nvidia chipset mobo would not allow much overclock and thus the 205FSB should have been a small enough change to be done by most any motherboard. Well if the ram could absorb any sort of overclock of its' speed at all.

and now I can't even put it back to normal even with removing the battery = In really strange situations, the battery may have to stay out for hours.

I shouldn't have tried overclocking at all I guess.. = Sometimes when a board is old and has different size and speed ram used and has run at a certain speed for a long time, it is not wise to 'then' try and push it by overclocking.

is there anything else I can do to put it to normal again? = Yes there maybe a something to try. I have done so at least 5 times some years ago when boards just began to start to overclock from the bios instead of jumpers.

Remove all power to the power supply from the wall A/C outlet. Remove the ram and video card. Remove the battery and let the board sit for at least 10 or 12 hours before re-inserting the ram and video card and 'then' the battery; to try and boot the board without the stuttering.

Back when I used to overclock every computer that came close to me, my buds would laugh when the board "appeared to DIE" and I took it out of the case and set it aside and went on using another board for a day or so and then put that "dead" board back and it worked. I once had two boards on the end of the bed that supposedly "died" and after sitting a day or so I tried both again and they worked. But the had no battery in them and no parts plugged into them for at least a day. I say 12 hours or so since I never really measured how long they stayed unused. Heck my buds used to laugh when I had a board acting up, that they would say just take the board out and put it up on the shelf for awhile. Odd stuff but leaving the board without battery for more than a few minutes can often take care of odd problems.

Maybe it will work for you.

EDIT: I read that disabling C1E and CnQ could help with this but I can't seem to find them anywhere in BIOS.. do I even have them or can I disable them through Windows?

Those settings are n0t really available from within windows and more than likely not with an Nvidia chipset motherboard. You might try setting Win 7 power mode to Performance Mode but I don't hold much for that fixing your issue since it seems surely in Hardware/Bios settings.

Indeed that's what I tried and didn't work.. well I guess I'll keep trying other stuff or finally buy a new CPU :D. Thanks for your time!

I would get a new motherboard while you're at it, one that has some decent overclocking bios options.

Back