• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung RDRAM 8-device or 16 Device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JT,

I went with the single sided 256MB 8 device RIMMS. Given that they (google gear) post the Samsung product codes, I looked at the technical data sheets and concluded they are produced from one of the latest processes. While I suspect you are considering boosting the memory frequency to run at 1066, your chances should be good.

The following link is the samsung roadmap presented at a rambus forum that does provide some good information.
http://www.rambus.com/rdf/presentations/1_06_Samsung_final.pdf

Toast

Toast,

Yes I plan to overclock. I am going to get 2 256mb sticks. So are you saying that I should go with the 8-device?????

Thanks
JT

2-3 weeks ago, b/4 I bought my system, I was reading that the 16 device/double sided/low density stuff was OCing better. Now I see a lot of people with the 8 device/singlesided/high density chips are having success at high FSBs.
So I guess it doesn't matter, although I think that buying Samsung brand, ie Samsung PCB/chips is the key.

I bought 2-256MB DS/16device Samsung from Googlegear and it has been running at 4x133 on my TH7-II with no problems.
Haven't tried any higher as I'm happy for now.
No vrimm mods, my Enermax 365VE-FC puts out 2.48 v to the rdram and my TH7-II has the ICS 9212-03(400Mhz) DRCGs.

Hey guys,

I went with the 256MB single sided 8 device RIMMS from google gear and I can't run them at 133FSB. The highest they will run at is 122FSB on my Asus P4T-E.

Toast

I recently had pretty good luck when I cooled my RDRAM down. I mounted a 80mm fan that is blowing air straight at the memory modules. I now can run my Samsung at 133 when before I could not. Those RDRAM heat spreaders do get a little warm under load and when you're pushing higher FSB speeds.

batboy,

Thanks for the advice, I'll pick a new fan and try your approach.
It sure would be nice to hit 1066.

Toast

Let us know if cooling the RAM helps any or not. If enough people seem to get better results with cooling the RDRAM, I might try prying off those heat spreaders and use Arctic Silver epoxy to attach some nice RAM sinks onto the memory chips. Maybe some low profile sinks on top of the heat spreaders? I've seen DDR memory coolers for sale, I wonder if they might be able to fit with a little modification.

Back