• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lewisls10

Registered
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I just need some advice. I want to know if I should buy a whole new computer or just upgrade my current gpu. As of right now I have an alienware aurora r2 that has a p55 mobo, an i5 750 cpu, 8 gb of 1333 ram, and an old hd 5670 gpu. I'm using the comp for gaming (obviously) and it's not running up to par. It struggles in most games. I was wondering would upgrading the current gpu run most current games at a decent framerate (45-60fps) or should I just scrap the system and buy a whole new one?
Thanks for any replies in advance.

You could just upgrade GPU and OC the CPU ? And should be fine.. As you can see in my sig.. I got an older RIG with a good GPU and i get great FPS is ALL games i play. MW3,BF3, Metro.. etc...

CPU is fine until Haswell comes out (Q2 2013, like 8 months). Then it's probably worth upgrading, but a new GPU now will do wonders.

Will the mobo be bottlenecking a new gpu excessively though? It only has pci-e 1.0 x16 slots.

That equals PCIe 2.0 x8 AFAIK, so no, it won't.

It should be PCIe 2.0 if it's a P55 board anyway. Or Dell is just royally ripping people off. The 5670 wasn't ever meant to be a gaming card anyway.

Alright great! Ok so now my next question would be provided that it has a 525W psu do I need to worry about power consumption (without OC'ing) or should that be sufficient for most single card setups?

But, What if its not a TRUE 525 watt PSU? I have seen them say that they are a certain watt, But when really look into them, they are ALOT lower than whats said..

Back