• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I got ratted...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbman99

Okay so I got an email that was supposedly from a gaming website and I opened it and clicked on the link, being the idiot I am, and entered my password only to find out it was a phisher from clicking on an embedded link within some text and got a 404 error. They recreated the page amazingly, but they ended up with my password in the end. I went and changed it and thought nothing of it and then later it was changed and my account got hacked. I don't even understand how this was possible without clicking on any downloads or being notified by Kaspersky. Anyways I went ahead and notified them since I didn't know what to do. I had to run my computer in safe mode which I did and took me nearly 3 hours since I've been having other problems with it and now I have to do a full scan of the computer and so far its been 15 minutes and has only gone through 320 files with a total of 21 days remaining. I'm trying to assure myself that it will pick up, but if it doesn't I'm just gona completely wipe my drives and start over. But my main question was.... I was able to get their IP address and I don't know if I can report this to anyone. Also I was wondering if the full scan will speed up anytime soon? Lastly though, how could they have downloaded a rat or keylogger or trojan or any malicious software onto my computer without kaspersky picking up on a thing? Obviously it was my fault, but I mean shouldn't it pick up on stuff like that? And they were also able to retrieve my password over skype from my phone since the computer is also logged onto my skype and IM's go through that as well. And yes I'm 999% positive the person I IMed did not hack my account. Because its his in the first place...
Thanks for any help :)

You have my sympathy on this issue. Definitely a PITA to deal with.

:comp:

I would highly recommend wiping your system and performing a clean install. It'll be faster than attempting the scan/repair, plus it's the only way to be certain that the infection is removed.
Regarding Kaspersky: No AV software is able to detect and prevent 100% of the threats out there, period. It's simply not possible. Even if you could run two or three different AV programs (and not kill your Windows install) you'd still not be 100% protected.

Good luck!

The only thing I'm pissed about is that I don't want to lose some of the programs I have currently, so maybe I'll put them on my flash drive tomorrow while the internet is disconnected and then do a reformat and reset my drives and then partition them for my OC and stuff...

Do you have the installer for these programs? If not, I'd be very careful copying anything off of that system and putting it back after the reformat.

If you do, first boot into a live Linux CD and do a full scan of whatever you copied.

Actually I'd rather not do that. Screw it! New start. Lol. Lets do it.

Sounds like a plan. If you can't find a program or two that you had before, drop a new thread in the software forum asking for alternatives. I've found that nearly every paid program out there has an *awesome* open-source/free alternative.

Happy installing!

Sounds like a plan. If you can't find a program or two that you had before, drop a new thread in the software forum asking for alternatives. I've found that nearly every paid program out there has an *awesome* open-source/free alternative.

Happy installing!

Have you ever heard of DBAN (Derik's Boot and Nuke)? My friend was telling me to look up on it and its more than a simple reformat where the files are just moved to a seperate space and never able to be used again, where as this re-writes the drive to 0's. And completely wipes EVERYTHING. But I don't know so that's why I am asking.
Heres a link to their specific site.
http://www.dban.org/

So to reformat, just put in the windows install disc and then an option will come up to reformat? Been a while since I have had to reformat, but I am no stranger to it ofcourse...

Yes. It wont be a pop up, you just select the drive you want to install the OS on and there will be an option to format it.

They probably put in a logger or something that "saw" your new password and were able to change it.

I would try and recover your account on another computer for future reference.

Would reformating back to an earlier date before I had the virus get rid of it? I got it on 6/8/12 and I reformated back to 6/1/12. It didn't seem to change much and said no changes have been made to your documents, but I don't know if it got rid of the virus... Or do I have to do a full system reformat?

Thats what I meant ;) And yeah figured as much. I guess I'll have to reboot from disc and then do a system reformat.. Oh how delightful.

Yeah I don't think I'm allowed to have on of those lol. Still 17. But yeah I would imagine it would make it much more fun. :p

Okay so I tried to reformat and only got the option to reformat one at the time so if anyone can help me with this. I mean I just reformated both, and in the end it said there was 750gb out of 750gb available and 299gb out of 299 gb available on my other drive. And now I think it may be working, but it did it so quick in like 2 seconds and now its installing windows.

Back