• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Overclock Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMike1989

I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and just got it overclock to 4.0Ghz but can't get it to 4.2Ghz. The is my first time overclock I been reading this http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3637.0.html to learn how to. I been moving up the cpu clock ratio and the cpu voltage control only. Core Performance Boost is turn off, core temp is around 19c to 40c. cpu voltage control is at 0.075v/1.4750v,cpu clock ratio x20 4.0Ghz. I will like to get 4.2Ghz or 4.4Ghz.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N)
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 2.0)
CORSAIR H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB DDR3 1333

MadMike1989 said:
I will like to get 4.2Ghz or 4.4Ghz.

So would everybody else who first saw a user with a very pristine piece of silicon do those numbers. However they are very few and far between in the real world. Your cpu maybe in no way capable of such speeds no matter how much you and I might wish it so.

I would first raise the CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 since the raising of that voltage has increased stability for many users and IS about the first thing we suggest when starting any overclocking helps session with later AMD cpus. I would not exceed that voltage since too much brings on the reverse and can create instability on some Thuban 6 core processors.

The whole overclocking process is a balancing act. Raise some here...oops not too much and so on.

+1 to what RGone said about increasing the CPUNB voltage. It might help as well to give the ram a .025 to .05 voltage bump. I would also concur with RGone's remarks about the level of your overclock. It might be fair to say most people have been unable to achieve 4.2 ghz with that CPU. Some have but most not. 4.0-4.1 is pretty common, however, with the high end air or with a prepackaged self-contained water loop like you have. The same make and model CUP will vary somewhat in its overclockability from one production batch to the other.

Last edited:
Sorry about that forgot something been up all night. when i wrote this like I said it 's overclock to 4Ghz 100% stability right now. I did try to get at 4.2Ghz I moved the cpu clock ratio to x21 4.2Ghz and the cpu voltage control set at 1.5***v one up.... boot to windows logon screen then crash. then I moved the cpu voltage control one more time up got into windows and ran the AMD OverDrive stability test and ran it for 10min for now in 10sec it crash then I gave up on it. I did found the Northbridge voltage and can't find the ram voltage. here a pic http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/oc002bios.jpg/ It's not mind but same motherboard.

CPU-NB voltage is useless for core clocks, all it does is create more heat.
The new X4's being put out all have a 1.0v CPU-NB-VID, the one 955 I killed ran all day at 0.9v CPU-NB voltage, validating up to 5.14 GHz on air when CPU-NB was at stock speeds. Core temps are 15c off for Thuban so 18-40c is like 35-55c.

Normal clock scaling for Phenom II is about 0.05v per 100 MHz gained, as long as temps are in check.

That said, a CPU doing 4 GHz at 1.48v will likely do no more than ~4.1 GHz at ~1.55v.

4.4 GHz is completely out of question, don't even think about it or try.

CPU-NB voltage is useless for core clocks, all it does is create more heat.

I strongly disagree with your statement. This contradicts my experience and the experience of many, many on this forum who have found that increasing the CPUNB voltage in the higher overclock ranges is the missing ingredient that makes their system stable. What you say may be more true of the FX CPUs but OP is overclocking a Phenom II Thuban core.

The new X4's being put out all have a 1.0v CPU-NB-VID,

Do you mean Bulldozer?

No, my advice in this thread is strictly limited to Phenom II, in which case I have overclocked multiples of them between air, water, dry ice, and Liquid Nitrogen on six different motherboards, between weeks 0945 and 1212. Bulldozer is totally different, but CPU-NB voltage still does the same thing.

2x X2 965 BE 0945 and 1210
2x X4 955 BE both 1212
X2 565 BE 1010
X6 1100T 1045
2x X4 840 1145
Athlon II X2 215e, can't remember date off the top of my head.
Also 2X FX-8150 for BD CPUs.

Gigabyte 790X-UD4P
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
ASUS M4A89TD Pro/USB3
ASUS M5A97 Pro
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Foxconn C51XE2MAA

CPU-NB voltage helps with CPU-NB overclocks and DRAM overclocks, period. Say or think what you want, but CPU-NB voltage does not help a strictly core overclock. There is no "missing ingredient" unless the CPU-NB is being overclocked and can therefore become unstable. Applying more CPU-NB voltage to the CPU gives more voltage to a completely different part of the die (uncore/IMC) than core voltage.

@op
I apologize for crapping up your thread, I'll let the resident deities handle this from now on...

Last edited:
I have to side with Beep on this one but its like splitting hairs. Yes you can run 4Ghz on a stock CPU-NB voltage. I've tested 4-5times like him and came back with the same result, because you are not touching NB or anything associated with it. Increasing it soley for a core overclock is fruitless.

Now it would be fruitless to just do a core overclock, so I'd say yes technically beep is right, but most of us want to juice the NB and thats where it becomes critical to stability.

I have to side with Beep on this one but its like splitting hairs. Yes you can run 4Ghz on a stock CPU-NB voltage. I've tested 4-5times like him and came back with the same result, because you are not touching NB or anything associated with it. Increasing it soley for a core overclock is fruitless.

Now it would be fruitless to just do a core overclock, so I'd say yes technically beep is right, but most of us want to juice the NB and thats where it becomes critical to stability.
Yes, of course, but when people start suggesting CPU-NB voltage for overclocking the cores and then argue it helps, it doesn't make sense.
If the OP was trying to run 3 GHz CPU-NB it would be a different story, but it is best to take it one step at a time.

If you were tweaking the engine of a car for more power output, would it make sense to adjust the steering column to achieve the result you want from your engine?

Yes, of course, but when people start suggesting CPU-NB voltage for overclocking the cores and then argue it helps, it doesn't make sense.
If the OP was trying to run 3 GHz CPU-NB it would be a different story, but it is best to take it one step at a time.

If you were tweaking the engine of a car for more power output, would it make sense to adjust the steering column to achieve the result you want from your engine?

More like added reliability. Like running stabil ethanol treatment in a two stroke for smoother performance with no down side. Bottom line for a thourogh over lock cpunb voltage is crucial. If you want to keep it stock I can tell you don't touch the NB. Your point is interesting and true but not applicable for folks who really want to improve memory performance, or NB which would most I'd say

Back