• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obione

Registered
I recently bought a fx 6100 and i had read i was easy to overclock at the moment i am running at 4.5gig but this was done just using the multipiler.Whenever i try to increase the FSB i either get BSOD or it freezes at the windows is loading screen. my question is to increase the FSB do i need to reduce the multipiler.

My rig specs are
bulldozer fx 6100 @4.5gig
asus m5a97l usb3 mobo
750w alpine psu
16gig samsung ddr3 1300mhz
2x500gig wd hdd
ati hd 6770 gfx

Funny, there is another guy posting with this same problem. He has an FX8500. I'm beginning to think the FX CPUs don't like the FSB messed with. Of course, your instability could simply be due to the fact that you are already in the edge of instability before you try increasing the FSB. The way to find out would be to reduce the multiplier and then try increasing the FSB. Of course, you do realized don't you that the FSB is the master bus of the system and all the other subsystem buses are tuned to it (ram frequency, HT Link frequency and CPUNB frequency) so that when you increase the FSB these other frequencies climb higher in concert which could be the reason for the instability. But you'd think they would take a little bit of increase without causing instability, wouldn't you? Maybe they need lowering to start with before you increase the FSB.

Have you done any temp monitoring yet of the core temp and the CPU socket temp? You really need to do this. HWMonitor is what most of us recommend. High temps can cause instability as well.

yeah all temps are fine around 42 degrees under prime

so will i see more benifit from lower the multipiler and upping the fsb and what sort of voltages will i need to be putting through the vcore and the dram

so will i see more benifit from lower the multipiler and upping the fsb and what sort of voltages will i need to be putting through the vcore and the dram

No advantage of using the fsb to overclock. All the components in the fsb "pipeline" can be manipulated individually anyway and it just makes overclocking more complicated. The only advantage in using the FSB is it can give you a "tweener" ram speed that falls somewhere between two standard divider speeds like 1333 and 1600 or even to overclock the ram a bit. A dubios advantage because once you get to 1333 mhz ram speed tests show there is little or no real performance advantage to making the ram go faster.

No advantage of using the fsb to overclock. All the components in the fsb "pipeline" can be manipulated individually anyway and it just makes overclocking more complicated. The only advantage in using the FSB is it can give you a "tweener" ram speed that falls somewhere between two standard divider speeds like 1333 and 1600 or even to overclock the ram a bit. A dubios advantage because once you get to 1333 mhz ram speed tests show there is little or no real performance advantage to making the ram go faster.
Sure there is. (To overclocking with HT Ref. Clock)
Some NB/ram dividers are faster than others. :)
1866 divider vs 2133/2400 always wins.

Anyway, @ OP...how long have you run Prime @ 4.5 GHz? What voltage are you using?

got FSB stable at 201 gunna knock it up again i'll post again when i fail lol

Think im gunna fail in attempt to get 5gig on air upto 4.65 temps have just hit 50 degrees
is it safe to keep going till it hits 55 degrees

Well, real temperatures are core + 15-20c so you are up around 70c.

I'd say it's time to quit, 4.65 is a respectable overclock on Bulldozer with air cooling :)

only at 50c at moment dont really wanna fry it though bit more expensive ove here £120 bout $200

6100 @ 4.5ghz on an M5A97 with 1.46vcore prime 95 over night with stock FSB you have a cherry of a cpu.

Strange though I can tweak my FSB all over the place and get stable overclocks, just not at 4.5 at anything at the max of 1.55vcore. I've been able to find a sweet spot with my board, by tweaking my FSB, to get stable overclocks with slightly less vcore with no issues at all.

Try lowering your ram speed as you increase the FSB. That might be causing your problems.

No one has asked for real proof?

Can we get pics of your Prime 95 run? I'm having a hard time believing you considering that I have the same board.

It is perfectly reasonable.
The good 8 cores can do 4.6 GHz at 1.45v and less. I've had two that do 4.6 GHz @ 1.41v...I have noticed that the quads and six cores usually aren't up to par with the 8 core CPUs, but that doesn't mean it isn't impossible.

Back