• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k overclocking questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

I have heard that sometimes CPU's can overclock a little easier once they are run for a while, I did all of my overclocking right when I built my system. Like my signature says I run at 4.2 and that is with a 1.285 vcore I believe. I tried my 4.7GHz at a 1.415 vcore and that failed prime95 after ~15 minutes just like it did when I first started overclocking (but 4.7GHz is stable enough to use I don't use it often but when I do I don't crash). So right now as I type this I am trying 4.5GHz on same 1.415 vcore I tried with the 4.7GHz. I am 90 minutes into the prime95 run and I am getting some high (I don't know if everyone would call these high but I do) temps of 80-85C. I am wondering how long I should run prime95 before I turn down the vcore to see if i'm still stable at 4.5GHz. Also any comments just about my clocks and vcore would be appreciated, I like to read opinions thanks :D!

Most 2500K's will do 4.5ghz with 1.35v or less. My particular one does 1.325v. I tried 1.32v and it error'd. An extra .005v helped in my case. Lol.

Drop it down to 1.35v. 1.4v+ is way too high for a 2500K unless your chip is horrible lol. There's a guide on these forums.. Let me find it.

Here it Is

Have a gander and see how you go =).

Most 2500K's will do 4.5ghz with 1.35v or less. My particular one does 1.325v. I tried 1.32v and it error'd. An extra .005v helped in my case. Lol.

Drop it down to 1.35v. 1.4v+ is way too high for a 2500K unless your chip is horrible lol. There's a guide on these forums.. Let me find it.

Here it Is

Have a gander and see how you go =).

Ill try lower vcore tomorrow but my chip is pretty much horrible :p, thanks for the reply, ill post more results tomorrow because i'm bored at home this summer xD. It lasted two hours of prime95 at 1.415 vcore at 4.5 with temps at 85C without ac and 65-80 with AC on (or it was a coincident I turned on the AC and temps went down)

Lol of course a lower ambient will drop temps.

Don't forget to work with the other options there in that guide. Not just multiplier/voltage. After you get it stable; feel free to turn speedstep and all that back on. I do =).

Lol of course a lower ambient will drop temps.

Don't forget to work with the other options there in that guide. Not just multiplier/voltage. After you get it stable; feel free to turn speedstep and all that back on. I do =).

I tried lower vcore tried around 1.35 and I cant even post to windows log in screen I get a post beep at stay at a black screen with a blinking typing courser thing.

Back