• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVDA vs AMD, a lost battle for AMD. (stock analysis)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
alright, different angle today.
want to address the issue why AMD cards are inferior to the ATI era.

first, take a look at the companies performance:

sg2012072459731.gif

early on, AMD did have the edge over NVDA, however, since 2007, AMD has lost on BOTH CPU chip (to Intel) and GPU (to NVDA), market share of both has been on a steady decline, meaning less people buying their things, and as such, AMD is earning less money. in fact just in June, they revised their earnings even lower, and was one of the worst performing tech.

NOW, that explains A LOT.
- from terrible drivers, to terrible customer service.

and the outlook remains, unless AMD comes up with something innovative, their company will eventually lose out, and for now you can expect them to release only crappier products as the cost to produce will be limited for sure.

That is pretty true, sadly. I'm a stock owner of the big 3 (Intel, AMD, NVIDIA ) and all 3 have been in a steady decline for the last few months (sadly soon after I bought them).

I think AMD has to focus on servers, htpc, and I believe they are going to be the hardware provider for at least one of the next generation consoles.

That chart clearly shows Both nVidia and AMD are down by similar amounts, (recession) expensive computer components just aren't selling any more.

Its just that AMD's stocks have not inspired much confidence in the past few years, especially given that they have been running in the red for those years.

But AMD are far from dead, they have a line of big money men knocking on there door with big money contracts for the technologies they are just perfecting.

Add to that AMD are making healthy profits on all there products, what put them in the red is there stake in GloFo, which they have now all but bough there way out of http://www.anandtech.com/show/5764/amd-q112-earnings-report-158b-revenue-590m-net-loss

Pretty soon AMD should back to 500 - 750M a year running profit, at which point there stocks should pick up and they can start investing in developing there products again.

@ Janus67, why do you think AMD bought SeaMicro for $334 million? :)

I sure hope AMD picks up myself.

my view is, withouth AMD and NVDA competiting, we will never have these good GPUs. they need competition to keep on improving.

With AMD releasing a 6gb card designed for gaming. I expect Nvidia will do the same.

Release a 6 or 8gb GB card!

With AMD releasing a 6gb card designed for gaming. I expect Nvidia will do the same.

Release a 6 or 8gb GB card!

I think only Sapphire has released a 6GB card, which is basically just for e-peen anyway. Waste of money/development time in my opinion. The money for the companies is not in the high-end market, but in the mass market.

quite true.

I was reading fortune, and several hedge funds are actually considering buying NVDA as well after they won the contract with samsung. Overall, NVDA will have more R&D resources than ever, so looks like they may take the lead for several years.. AMD is a good company, but mismanaged to the ground.. real pity.

btw, the CEO of NVDA is a chip architect from AMD, so maybe he knows exactly how to market his product to dance around AMD.

I don't think Nvidia the "the superior company" they are better at marketing yes, but that's all.
They can a afford to plow big money into that, AMD can't.

As i said before, AMD this last fiscal year made a huge loss because they paid there way out of there GloFo stake, had they not had that stake they would have made over $500m the past year running cost profit.

As for the future, the two biggest Game Console makers (Microsoft and Sony) will be using AMD APU's..... that will be massive R&D for them.

Ehhh, didnt ATI already make/work with MS and its their GPU in the Xbox360 for the past several years already (X1900XTX equivalent)? I guess the only thing new is them working with Sony as I recall a 7800gtx equivalent was in the PS3.

Marketing is a massive part of this operation though.
Sometimes it bites nvidia, wood screws anybody? :D
Generally though they do a better job of it, forcing AMD to resort to attacking nvidia rather than marketing their own stuff.
On the other hand from what I've heard the days of manually OCing nvidia cards a meaningful amount are rapidly coming to a close. If that actually happens I expect AMD to be very happy indeed.

Ehhh, didnt ATI already make/work with MS and its their GPU in the Xbox360 for the past several years already (X1900XTX equivalent)? I guess the only thing new is them working with Sony as I recall a 7800gtx equivalent was in the PS3.

I'm talking about the PS4 and Xbox 720.

@ Bobnova, Nvidia do the same thing to AMD, don't pretend its one sided.

Link me.

The marketing that I have run across in my normal online travels has been nvidia pimping themselves out and AMD putting nvidia down.

Just on that statement..
I have yet to see Nvidia dissing AMD. always the other way around. Nvidia usually just struts about their own awesomeness. would you mind to share a link?

I'm talking about the PS4 and Xbox 720.

I know Frakk. I was just saying that they already had Xbox, the only thing new would be Sony....just like my post said in the first place.

me said:
I guess the only thing new is them working with Sony

Just on that statement..
I have yet to see Nvidia dissing AMD. always the other way around. Nvidia usually just struts about their own awesomeness. would you mind to share a link?

No, i'm not going to get sucked into a playground argument with you or bobnova about who said what, where, when and who you like to keep pictures of on your respective "my idles" wall.

The Internet is a wide and wonderful place full of lots of interesting information, what information's you find depends on what search strings you use, if you have only ever found one thing then your only searching for one thing, i suggest you also change your searching habits.

I'm not going to do that for you.

No, i'm not going to get sucked into a playground argument with you or bobnova about who said what, where, when and who you like to keep pictures of on your respective "my idles" wall.

The Internet is a wide and wonderful place full of lots of interesting information, what information's you find depends on what search stings you use, if you have only ever found one thing then your only searching for one thing, i suggest you also change your searching habits.

I'm not going to do that for you.

then I am calling your bluff bro.
if you are imagining facts, don't say it is like real, cause we WILL call you on it.

anyway. Nvidia also won contract with tablets, and I do hope to see AMD do better in the coming years. it was sad to see AMD getting hit hard like that.

I will provide a link. Amazing how quickly one forgets about the recent AMD ads...Verdetrol anyone?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Reveals-GPU-Specs-Through-Website-Medication-251992.shtml
In a double linguistic bonus, the name of the medication not only refers to the Cape Verde Southern Islands GPU, but is also a stealth jab at NVIDIA.

A proper google search as requested confirms that assertion.

We'll let you guys guess the meaning of Verdetrol, but NVIDIA's colors are green.

Last edited:
Back