• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 final hardware requirements?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Have these been released or will they become available once the build hits RTM?

The reason I ask is I've kind of been researching a small netbook to use in school over the next 2 years (yay for returning students?). It doesn't need to do much, but a tablet won't be sufficient (need a keyboard I can type on), so I've been looking at used netbooks. Problem is, most netbooks have a screen resolution of 1024x600.

Current hardware specs for Win8 say the screen must be 1024x768 or better to use Metro. Now, I've tried the Release Preview on my desktop and didn't particularly care for it there, but I can certainly see the advantage on something like a netbook where resolution and screen real estate are at a premium. If it won't run on a netbook though, it's a moot point. I've read that there are registry hacks to allow it to work, but I'm not sure how good of a solution that is.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If hardware comes with Windows 7 on it then shouldn't it qualify for Windows 8 $14.99 upgrade? That deal is good until end of January 2013.

First time you'll be bale to buy Windows 8 is towards the end of October 2012.

Nothing about Windows 8 is final for another week but Microsoft did mention last February that Metro style applications have a minimum requirement of a 1024x768 screen resolution but that is a requirement for Metro-style apps only. You can still install Windows 8 on a netbook, as low as 800 x 600.

Metro-style apps only may need larger res.

Metro is the only reason I'd consider installing it on a netbook to begin with due to what I perceive to be its advantages on a small screen. Without Metro, Win7 or a Linux variant OS would be a better choice.

Back