• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle i5 Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Support

Registered
I got my i5 3570k oc'ed to 4.4GHZ but im a little unhappy with the temps.

voltage is at around 1.248 and im getting idle temps of 45C and Full load Prime95 is around 82C i dont know if this is normal since the ivy bridges are supposed to run hotter but can anyone tell me if this is ok? Or how i can reduce my temps

Those are good temps, i would not do a thing you are probably not going to run prime95 all the time.

What's the ambient temp / temp inside the case, and what are you using for cooling?

Im using a hyper 212 and i wouldnt know how to find the ambient inside case temps because i have no sensors or something like that to do it with

Your board has a surface mounted thermistor that software like HWMonitor for example uses to monitor the air temp in that area of the board. You should also be able to read the case temp from within the BIOS.

You can also try to lower cpu voltage to ~1.20V. Each +0.05V is like +5*C on air under load ( at least when I was checking temps on box cooler :p ).
My [email protected], disabled HT, 1.1V on box cooler was making ~84*C in Prime95/AVX so I can say that 4.4GHz on 1.248V isn't bad ;)

Temps look fine to me. Are you still running speedstep C1 state and all that?

After I find a stable overclock; I personally re-enable all those power saving features. =). Could help your idle temps.

Idle temp seems high to me, I am no expert though, also depends what your ambient temp is. My 3570k @ 4.5ghz idles at 30C, 100% load 71C, room temp 23C, 1.27v, of course I also have a different cooler and each chip is different. Might try re-seating your cooler and reapplying TIM. Also what program are you using to read your temps?

Idle temp seems high to me, I am no expert though, also depends what your ambient temp is. My 3570k @ 4.5ghz idles at 30C, 100% load 71C, room temp 23C, 1.27v, of course I also have a different cooler and each chip is different. Might try re-seating your cooler and reapplying TIM. Also what program are you using to read your temps?

Im using Real Temp

Real temp is good. Are you using fixed vcore or offset? 45C seems high for an idle temp, 82C at load seems a little high too, especially with a Hyper 212. What is the ambient room temp at?

His temps seem normal guys... It IS an ivy bridge proc he's running... A hyper 212 plus/evo was king of sandy as it was easy to keep temps under wraps at 4.5ghz ish no sweat. But I'd honestly say the Hyper 212 Evo is limited to around 4.2ghz on an ivy proc. If you want to surpass that go for something beefier. Remembering anyway an ivy proc at 4.2ghz is still equal to around 4.4-4.5ghz on a sandy.

And they tend to have a slightly higher temperature tolerance than sandy as well, so anything under 85 under full load is fine under my eyes. His idle is a tiny bit high; but nothing I'd worry about. And frankly idle temps don't mean jack anyway. And like I said; re-enable speedstep if you're sure it's stable; and your idle temps will drop a bit as well.

Idle temps are cured by setting an offset voltage for the cpu, and enabling the power saving states. That way not only the cpu speed drops to 1600Mhz when idle, but voltage drops also.

Back